Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Hey there Cadet;

Well, since you asked, here goes. Whoever did this work has a good hand, and an excellent eye for the "artistic" side of things, and the carving is excellent. Having an "artistic" eye is always a plus when designing anything no matter what it is you're making. There's a few things I wouldn't do but that doesn't make this one wrong, just different.

For example, making cartridge loops from such heavy leather is hard work. I see that the person who made this rig used the loop-through method instead of stitching each individual loop but that's alright too, but with such heavy material. As well, having the heavy loops protrude out the inside of the belt (although covered by the lining) might be a tad uncomfortable for the wearer.

The additional layer of tooled leather in making the "drop-leg" piece seem a little redundant but again, this is could be just a design preference by the maker, or (let's hope not) to hide a error. It has been done before and I don't think there's a whole lot wrong with it.

The tooling on this rig appears to be well done. At first I thought it might be roller applied but a closer look shows that it is indeed hand tooled. It's very deep, and should last a lifetime and maybe then some.

All in all, I think the maker did a nice job on this one. It's not my style but that doesn't matter. It's a well built, very strong rig and in my opinion, it would be a nice rig to own.

If I were to pick one negative thing about this rig it would only be that in my opinion, the "jockstraps" on these holsters should be a lot higher than they are now.

As for value? I can't tell you that as I have no idea of the hours that went into it. I can tell you though that most makers of gun belts and rigs today never get the true value for their work. I've made double holster rigs that have taken me as much as forty plus hours to build, and when I sell the rig for under six hundred dollars it's clear that a maker may not get the real value of his work.

Anyway, I hope this is what you were looking for.

Bud

·
Registered
784 Posts
Need advise on this from those more expert than I. THANKS
From eBay, yes? The short answer is that, only recognised brands have any appreciable value, regardless of the quality of design or construction by the maker. A Bohlin will outvalue an Ojala will outvalue a Lawrence in the western styles, for example; and all will outvalue a no-name set by any maker.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I really like the wild design. The tooling is really good and symmetrical. That drop loop/belt billet set up is crazy and I like it. I agree with Bud that there's problems with the jock strap. but my concern is the shape of them. I feel that the top contour should closely follow the curve of the top edge of the holster for visual balance. And I don't like the way it gets fatter at the bottom yet holsters taper there in contrast. It looks like a different guy did the jock straps. The holsters have a stitching groove, but the belt has stitching right against the tooling. Those issues aside, I think it's a fine, and flamboyant outfit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.