Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own the above gun and have done so for many years. I have never shot it much. It had a shok buffer installed when I got it. It was black, not the usual blue that you see. The other day it crumbled and fell out. I called Colt and asked them if the shok buff was original equipment, or something someone had added. The answer that I got was that they did not think that Colt ever shipped anything with a shok buffer in it, so it was probably something that someone had added. I could not get them to be any more specific than that. In that this is an aluminum frame gun, I don't want to shoot it if it was intended to have one by the factory, but the factory can not say for sure if it was. Just that it most likely wasn't. Can anyone tell me for sure if it was original equipment? Thank you in advance.

Jim H.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I own several LW Officers and have never seen a shock buff in any. The only time I've used a shock buff was in an old Nat'l Match [1960] and it malfunctioned too much for me. My advise, throw it out and march on! Nick

·
Registered
622 Posts
I also don't think its OEM from Colt, but I use Shock Buffers in my guns, and some materieal is better than others..........I don't think you need to replace it before shooting that gun, and its up to you whether you want to replce it. If you do, Dillon Precisionused to sell some long lasting Buffs.

Tom

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Hi, Jim, and welcome to the Forum! I have a LW OACP built in 1990. I bought it LNIB in 1991 with the original serial numbered matching box, packing, papers, etc. I said all that to say this: Mine did not have a buffer in it and I've never installed one. In fact it still has the original double springs. It's had thousands of rounds downrange in the last 22 years and is still going strong. I trust it with my life. Perhaps you know a trustworthy, Colt-savvy gunsmith who could give it a good eval. I'm with Nick: I'd just march on!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks. I appreciate the rapid responses. I have no great need for a buffer. It was there when I got it second hand in the early nineties. As I have said, I have not fired this much since owning it, and I am getting ready to take take this to the range and give it a few days of serious workout because I plan to have it be my main carry gun. I just wanted to make sure that it was stock. Stock is good enough for me. I have heard all of the stories of LW frames cracking and tabs on spring plugs breaking off and gutting the gun out, but don't remember ever hearing of anyone who actually saw it first hand. Maybe I am nuts, but I can't bring myself to believe that Colt would put out a gun that knew would put it's customer's safety in jeopardy, at least without a recall. There never was one on these. It's a "gut buster" anyway, not plains buffalo gun. I have confidence in it as long as it is stock. I doubt that this gun has been fired much, if at all. I put one mag through it about twenty years ago. Don't know what it had through it before that, but from appearances, not much. I appreciate the information. majdad93's answer put the cherry on the cake for me. I have been through the whole Wilson, Kings, and you name it super bells, whistles, and bling stage with other 1911's. They have their place, I suppose, fun to tinker with and a good way to turn a thousand dollar gun into a two thousand dollar gun that is worth maybe eleven hundred. Got that out of my system. Going with stock when it comes to putting my butt on the line.

Thanks folks.

Jim H.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
.....I plan to have it be my main carry gun. I just wanted to make sure that it was stock. Stock is good enough for me....... I have confidence in it as long as it is stock......... Going with stock when it comes to putting my butt on the line.
Same here, Jim. In fact, my OACP is one of my carry guns, depending on the type of clothing. I like stock myself. Maybe I'm nuts, too, but I feel that the less it's modified, improved, adjusted or otherwise tampered with, the warmer and fuzzier I feel.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Racoon, since you brought the issue of the spring plug tabs up, I'll come clean.I put Commander top ends on all my O.M.s to make what is now called the C.C.O.. I did this before Colt ever made one [or at least before I was aware of it.I fell in love with that combo and it gives a little better sight radius,eleviates any spring plug problem[if that really was a problem] the other advantage ,to me, is that the little longer slide stabilizes the piece for waist band carry[in or out] As for the alloy frames cracking, the first time I saw that was on Col. Jeff Coopers Commander. It had cracked from the left side hole for the slide lock upward to the top of the dust cover. Coopers solution was to cut the crack out with a hack saw. I asked him how many rounds he had fired before the crack. He said he didn't know how many before or after but, he was shooting that gun most days while running the "Gunsight" school.I hope this info helps. Regards, Nick
EDIT: BTW, keep up with good spring change intervals and I don't think you'll have any frame cracking. NR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts