Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local shop has a Cobra (serial no. unknown at this writing)in I would rate about 70 to 75% condition (a lot of the bluing is worn off on the frame, trigger guard and barrel). However, the bore seems to be in good condition and the lock-up appears to be tight. Both the sa and da pulls feel appropriate. There are no major nicks, dings or scratches to what's left of the finish. The checkering on what appears to be the original stocks is not especially sharp but not overly worn smooth either. I don't know the year of manufacture but it is the older style (no ejector housing)in .38 Special cal.

The revolver obviously has no real collector's value but I'm wondering if it is worth $225.00 (asking price, I might be able to get it down to $200.00 or so) as a working carry piece? Any inputs would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I would offer $175 and if he refused, go as high as $200. After all, where can you get a Colt snubbie "shooter" to tuck in your pants for less than $200. My life is worth more than $200, not much, but worth a little more, well just a little. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'd do what Diamondback says about the price. You realize that Cobras and other Colt alloy frame guns are NOT to be shot with +P ammo. A "few rounds"for carry won't blow it up-but a steady diet will quickly loosen the gun(from what you said the gun is tight,and NOT a victim of previous owner shooting too hot loads on a steady basis.

Frankly,if your good with a snubby,you should be able to keep every round in a head sized target at 7-10 yards, You wont have to worry about penetration/expansion with regular .38 Special 158 gr. SWCs(and recoil won't be as bad) leading to a quicker recovery for repeat shots. Also,with so many "perps" wearing bullet proof vests,the face is the best aiming point!

I'd probably also get a grip adapter,at a minimum as Colt D frames,like the Cobra are not "user friendly" with that short space between rear of trigger guard and front grip strap. Plus ther are plenty of custom grips out there too-and even a hammershroud(still able to cock gun for single action),if you prefer a genuine "pocket carry".

Bud

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
What both of those guys said!!!
I'll just add that the Cobra is one of my favorite guns. I own several and they make teriffic carry pieces. Light, concealable and more than accurate enough for close quarters business. Load it with standard 38 special and go confidently. Please avoid the +P stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts