Colt Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
If it is not grandma‘s dresser drawer gun, a Detective Special will show use. They were not target guns, but made for a specific purpose. Their time has been eclipsed by high capacity pocket automatics today. Referred to in the recent movie “21 Bridges” as, “would only be kept in a glove box by a meth dealer.” Many of us like them and still carry them…old school. This one I use.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just want to make sure people who are not familiar with them don't get the wrong idea. You found a bad one. Keep looking!
Well truthfully, it's not a bad gun at all and I never implied it was. I love it and paid the extra money to have it fixed up. However, I would never buy another used gun online again, and I wuld not buy another Colt due to the extreme cost of the gunsmithing. It was my fault because the seller was less than honest about the condition, and I didn't check it thoroughly when it came in before accepting it. Even if I had checked and found it was not my liking, the costs to send it back were a negative. The only downside to these old Colts is that they require a special gunsmith to work on them, and the costs due these greedy tradesmen, is quite high because they know they are a very small group of people available to work on the old guns. I would say if there was ever any message to my post, it would be to avoid buying any firearm used online and consider the extreme costs of gunsmithing an old Colt. Go to a local gun store where you can see it in person.

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
What you got was experience...which is defined as what you get when you don't get what you want. Many of us here are well experienced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If it is not grandma‘s dresser drawer gun, a Detective Special will show use. They were not target guns, but made for a specific purpose. Their time has been eclipsed by high capacity pocket automatics today. Referred to in the recent movie “21 Bridges” as, “would only be kept in a glove box by a meth dealer.” Many of us like them and still carry them…old school. This one I use.
View attachment 770638
Yes indeed I agree. I bought my DS with the intention to carry it as well, and ultimately I will do exactly that since I am nt concerned with the value. My issue was with the original seller on gunsinternational lying about its condition. In the end it was my own fault for not checking the gun a little better to see if the crane bushing was shot or the barrel shot out. My own fault, however, I would never buy another used gun online again due to the costs of returning one should it not meet your expectations, and the overall experience this time around. I would never buy another Colt again either due to the extreme costs of gunsmithing it should it need work. I ordered a Smith & Wesson Model 60 brand new and will be picking it up this friday, but I love this Colt DS. Glad I spent the money rather than return it. May have cost way too much but I still love it. Cheers.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
... I wuld not buy another Colt due to the extreme cost of the gunsmithing. ...
The only downside to these old Colts is that they require a special gunsmith to work on them, and the costs due these greedy tradesmen, is quite high because they know they are a very small group of people available to work on the old guns....
Greedy tradesmen? This thread it the most severe case of sour grapes I've read in a long time.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Tarantuala I just set you to ignore. You can fight your battles against greedy gunsmiths, costs of shipping a gun for service, sadness at buying a broken vintage gun, and proclaim a few dozen more times how you're not going to buy a Colt again. I don't need to hear it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Tarantuala I just set you to ignore. You can fight your battles against greedy gunsmiths, costs of shipping a gun for service, sadness at buying a broken vintage gun, and proclaim a few dozen more times how you're not going to buy a Colt again. I don't need to hear it.
Do what you like. I am not going to curl into a ball and start trembling because someone does not like what I said and decided to put me on ignore. I have always spoken my mind sans any fear of retribution. Other people do have their opinions and I respect all perspectives, including yours. I mean no disrespect, but respectfully, curling up in your shell and displaying animosity towards someone because you didn't agree with, or like, their opinion, is a rather weak way to deal with it. Perhaps you are one of those tradesmen I spoke of? You seem to have interpreted my comment to mean "All tradesmen" are greedy. Of course, they are not. But the ones that I looked into, seem to be. With respect to them, I did not name them here, did I? Also thank you for your disparaging comment regarding my opinion regarding my experience so far. Appreciate the support and respect from a fellow gun owner. I didn't realize that voicing dissatisfaction with an experience would manifest in such a hostile response. Sorry if that burns your hat. I am just a regular guy who respects all opinions and I love firearms - including my new Colt Detective Special, but I did not come here for a pissing contest. So, by all means place your hands over your ears. Cheers and I will simply ignore your comments as well.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts