Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new, un-used Colt D frame hammer shroud that came from R.A.S. Development in Norwalk, Conn. It was purchased by a friend around 30 or so years ago and the letter indicates they were purchased from Colt and it was among the last Colt had. I have the letter that accompanied the shroud and screw are still sealed in bag. Sold for $49.95 plus $1.50 shipping and insurance. Note at bottom of letter indicates that shrouds will fit on some Charter Arms revolvers.

Wondering if someone could give me a ballpark figure of what these sell for in new condition.
Thanks, Barry

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Letter indicates these were the last that Colt had and were purchased from Colt.
Who is the letter from? If it is from Colt in West Hartford, CT. then it means something. If it's from this other company, it means nothing.
Do the hammer shrouds have the Colt Rampant Pony stamped on the right side? If so, they are genuine. If not, the are copies.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have pony on them. The letter is from the company that was selling them sometime in the 80s according to the retired Lt Col that I got it from. He's in his 70s now and been a collector for years. I was considering putting it on a really nice '56 detective special I recently acquired but having second thoughts about drilling and tapping a really nice gun.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
The shrouds retailed for about $3.50 if I remember correctly. (too lazy to look at my referrence file!)
They have gone up a lot in value. But they are not the type of Colt item that a letter adds value to; not like a Colt firearm.

I understand your hesitation to mount it on a DS that wasn't already set up for a shroud.
My story was the opposite. I bought a beat up looking but mechanically sound Agent because I noticed by the serial number it was first year production. We'll never know for sure, but I doubt Colt made more than 1,000-1,500 Agents the first year. That's just my theory, I'd like to stress. It was already tapped for shroud fillister screws, but the shroud was long gone. I lucked into a lightly used shroud for the gun for well uinder $100. So it was an easy choice for me. For you, it will be a harder choice.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Longarm, I 2nd malyshs' post. I have a beautiful Agent that has the factory installed shroud and an old Cobra that I got was drilled but the shroud was missing. I love the shroud but,you have to consider the leather gear you're going to use.[if any] With the shroud you'll have to obtain a holster with a safety strap that goes around the back of the trigger guard,or some split front design [like Berns -Martin, Bianchi ,Safariland, etc.] I use a pocket holster or IWB for belt carry. I am lucky enough to have an old B-M and a Bianchi 9R for shoulder holster use. It's always something with leather gear isn't it? Nick

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
You're referencing a six year old thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.