Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I make cases as some of you know, I have a customer who has a very nice looking custom set of Cimarron/Uberti model P Single Action Army’s. They are the old Model, black powder type frame and base pin with the big round ejector not the birdseye. My question is are these the same size as the first gen Colts and the second gens or are they beefier in the frame like the late second and third gens? Anybody ever fit one of these in a case and find it is a bit too big? Never had one of these. Bill

Pretty nice looking

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have noticed grip frame angle seems different and over all girth of the uberti,pietta and cimarron to feel bigger than my new 3rd gen.nothing measured just over all feel is more compact with the Colt.I have heard that the Old model cimarrons that are being produced today are just about as close as it gets to 1st gen Colts.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have a holster that was made for the pre-war Cimarron Model P that fits a bit loose on a 3rd Gen. SAA.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Don't know about Piettas. Cimarron/Uberti, USFA (except their US model), and Ruger mid frame cylinders are .020" larger in diameter than Colts (1st, 2nd and 3rd gens). But they just milled out the cyl window a bit larger. So the cyl width is what would change the holster fit.

But the outside frame vertical dimension is the same at 2.505" + or - based on the variation in the hand finished thickness of the trigger guard strap in the trigger loop.

Jim

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill that is pretty nice wood on that pair, thanks for sharing.
Agreed! They look like the originals, well crafted. I called Cimmaron and talked to customer service and the guy told me the owner took his original black powder SAA and took the dimensions off the frame for these models but they dont build them here, they are assembled elsewhere but he would not say. I assume the cylinders are from there regular models.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a beautiful pair of sixguns!

Hey Bill, any problem making a case for a Uberti 1871-1872 Open Top? I've got one I had engraved that really deserves to be in one of your cases.
No problem at all, my single gun cases are $220 and I will discount to a Colt forum member. Bill

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I can say with certainty that Bill's cases are the best I have seen. I have two so far and another soon! You can't go wrong with his workmanship and quality!!!!!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I usually do a rectangular compartment for cleaning rods and screwdrivers but I also do French fitted cases. They are spendy though! The case above would run $500-$600 in teak or rosewood (hard to tell what that wood is under the gator/leather) and I cant leather upholster. You know that those hinges are $35 each? Thats $105 worth of Brusso hinges alone. Bill

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
I usually do a rectangular compartment for cleaning rods and screwdrivers but I also do French fitted cases. They are spendy though! The case above would run $500-$600 in teak or rosewood (hard to tell what that wood is under the gator/leather) and I cant leather upholster. You know that those hinges are $35 each? Thats $105 worth of Brusso hinges alone. Bill
Bill, that would be a steal at $500 - $600, even without the leather covering. I think Huey's base price is around $1,200.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts