Colt Forum banner

Question about Delta 10mm for sale

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  mapwd1702 
#1 ·
Someone is selling a Delta Elite 10mm. Gun SN is a DE117XX # so its a early blued Delta right? I think thats right anyway, I am writing for confirmation. But the slide is stainless, with the straight vertical serrations milled in the slide, not on an angle, and it is roll marked Colt Goverment Model. But it(slide) is definately stainless, and the frame is blued. Any help out there? Did the slide suffer the early stress cracks, and they replaced it w/ a stainless, killing the value of the gun I would think?? I dont know, just guessing.

#2 ·
Did the slide suffer the early stress cracks, and they replaced it w/ a stainless, killing the value of the gun I would think?? I dont know, just guessing.
Nope...slides were not part of the internet hype of "cracking". A lot of over blown hype.

Here is a pic of the old cutout at the slide stop...

Here is a pic of the 10mm cutout which is done for all frames now, I believe.

You make unfounded assumptions about Colt replacing slides.

#3 ·
paul45 - unless you either worked at Colt's during the mid-80's to early 90's or have owned and extensively fired at least several hundred of the noted pistols... Your response is pretty anecdotal and you might be making assumptions yourself.

To the OP - non-"Enhanced" model Delta's are more the norm (if I remember correctly), so straight serrations are OK. That said, I don't believe a stainless over blue Delta was ever a factory option. Also, I'd be VERY wary of a slide just marked Govt. Model. You might want to measure the breech face... Is the caliber designated anywhere? The pistol could just be a mix-master using a Delta frame and a .45 stainless slide.

Funnel

#7 · (Edited)
paul45 - unless you either worked at Colt's during the mid-80's to early 90's or have owned and extensively fired at least several hundred of the noted pistols... Your response is pretty anecdotal and you might be making assumptions yourself.
Like you, perhaps? I was in the Marine Corps during that time. Did you own or extensively fire several hundred Delta Elites during that time? Sure would be interesting to see your documentation on the subject. I try to always be open to learning new gun facts!

I am aware of very, very early models showing a crack in the frame at the old slide cutout. I still maintain the 10mm frame cracking, along with other interent hype....such as Officers ACPs breaking bushings and recoil spring plugs, to be way overblown.

Also, Deltas had 2 types of rollmarks on the right side of the slide...one of them being
"Government Model".

#6 ·
I wouldn't buy a repaired pressure cooker. patched high pressure steam line or a firearm that I was suspicious about. Trying to save a couple hundred dollars can often cost you a lot more down the road. It might be legit or it might be a lemon. FYI I do not gamble while in Vegas either so ymmv

#9 · (Edited)
paul45 - nope, owned exactly one early Delta - but I didn't state fairly definitively that cracked slides were nothing more than Internet hyperbole. I absolutely agree with learning new facts. My point was neither of us can really state with any authority that the cracked slide thing is merely myth; so that would make (to me) accusing the OP of making "unfounded assumptions" a little out of turn.

He was asking an honest question (to him) and I'd like to think simple ignorance regarding a hobby, among hopefully like-minded individuals, would yield largely helpful responses.This site in particular (not directed at you) has more than its fair share of high-brow "experts". No problem there per se...knowledge is usually a good thing. My issue is their frequently condescending attitude. Especially when replying to new or neophyte Colt fans. Oh, and add their seeming inability to admit when they are wrong or make a mistake.

99% of what is discussed on this forum (in my observation) is focused on firearms as a hobby (collecting, shooting sports, reloading, etc.). You would think encouragement would be the word. Limits should exist though, and suffering absolute fools is difficult (and these folks often need a slap of reality to avoid dangerous circumstance anyway).

Funnel

#14 ·
paul45 - nope, owned exactly one early Delta - but I didn't state fairly definitively that cracked slides were nothing more than Internet hyperbole.
The issue I have with this thread is that the Delta has an internet myth gone wild of FRAME cracking...not slide cracking. Thus my original post shows the old Colt slide stop cutout with the new cutout to illustrate Colts fix...AND to stop spreading the myth of Delta slide cracking. Not saying a Delta never cracked a slide....every slide can crack in all calibers, even the new M45 cracked slides in the trials.

Now try and find a Delta frame with the old cutout....probably can't. Because the minor issue was attended to so early that it pretty much a small issue.

However, if one reads the errornet enough, one would think the frame cracking issue was of monumental proportion to end the world and lasted throughout the Delta production span.

Last...if you think I am condescending in my post....then I apologize for being blunt. I do not sugar coat life in person, nor do I on internet posts.;)

#11 ·
Jimmy, yes, it appears the recoil bent your trigger guard! Keep up on the springs and I doubt you will have an issue sir. I have not encountered one in thousands of hot loads. I hear about it all the time but have never personally seen it, or had it happen to me.

#12 · (Edited)
The pistol shown has had a lot of custom work done. Tough to tell from the photos but it looks like quality work. That said, I assume your asking about the slide stop cutout in the slide? The slide, during the custom work performed, received a bevel on the bottom edges. You have to leave metal on either side of said bevel or your cutout is rendered shallow.

I don't care for the aesthetics of this treatment (nor counter-sinking the pin), but it's not a problem.

Funnel

#16 ·
chaosrob - two different topics in this thread.

paul45 - don't think you were condescending.

surjimmy - hmm, a custom Colt rolled by Chuck Warner for Col. Cooper himself; not bad indeed. I'm a huge fan of the .38 Super & the 9x23 addresses the only real shortcoming in std. 1911-types (using top-end loads): the somewhat unsupported chamber.

Funnel

#17 ·
I never claimed to be anything other than someone honestly looking for information, on a subject that I lacked, and need more QUALITY information of. But in my own defense, I'n not a "neophyte" or a "fool" either. I still am looking for an answer to the question that, "assuming" it is as I describe, a mixmaster, and knowing it would never be more than a shooter, or a trail or boat gun, what would be a real good price on the gun? Please use small words when writing back, so I can follow along. LOL;) AndI really do hope that it wasn't me you were referring to when mentioning a condescending attitude. In fact Im almost positive it wasn't,Thanks:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.