Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’m new to the forum and am looking for a little bit of expert help. I have a Detective Special that was made in 1970, I actually carried this gun as my backup and off duty gun for many years. At some time in my career, I took off the factory wood grips and put on a pair of Hogue rubber grips. It was a whole lot easier to shoot with them. At any rate, I can’t find my factory grips and want to buy another pair for it and I’m not sure what to buy. I assume it’s a “d” frame and it has a square butt on it. Would that be considered a “d” frame short butt? I see some grips that look like they fit a square butt on the inside of them, but it also looks like the wood continues a short distance where the grip haves come together. Is that the right type of grip for this gun. I likely took them off in the late 70’s or so and have no recall at all what they looked like. I just don’t want to buy the wrong ones. I attached a photo of the gun with the grips off so that you all can see it. Thanks for any help you all might be able to offer.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Revolver

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You have a short frame Colt Detective Special. Although the grip frame is squared off the correct wood grips will be somewhat rounded. Here's a link with some good information and the evolution of the DS with grips. The photograph under the Post-War Detective Special (after 1966) are the correct style grips for your gun.

The Colt Detective Special Pistols - Colt Fever

·
Premium Member
6,290 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have a short frame Colt Detective Special. Although the grip frame is squared off the correct wood grips will be somewhat rounded. Here's a link with some good information and the evolution of the DS with grips. The photograph under the Post-War Detective Special (after 1966) are the correct style grips for your gun.

The Colt Detective Special Pistols - Colt Fever
Thank you so much, this has been a big help. I have found several sets of grips that look like they will fit. The prices seem to vary widely on them, from $50 to $250.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See if any of the ones you looked at have similar appearance to the revolver, and try to match up the amount of wear. A little bit of honest wear is way more appealing than a well broken in handgun with spiffy new wood.
Be sure to post when you find the right wood for it.
Thanks, I agree, I don’t want a set of shiny new grips. I want some that look like they are from 1970.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Sir...
Thank you, I’m glad to have found this forum. I’m almost 70 and I have always dreamed of owning a really nice SAA. They have just gotten to be so expensive now. Perhaps one day.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Pic of '71 DS with Tyler T.
Wood extends about a half inch below the frame's bottom.
OEM grips with the T fit my hand better than any other store bought grips.
Will make a set that combines them but in white, like the Ruger, and a white set of OEMs is under construction.
Love white on blue.
I need to live forever. ;)

Bad pic as it was dirty after some range time and is on the minty side.
Royal Salute logo reflected on trigger guard. :D
Revolver White Blue Air gun Trigger

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
The above grips appear to be for a pre-66 colt D frame as one of the sides doesn’t have the bottom filled in. While the checkered stocks ( grips) are correct for your gun, the smooth wood stocks that came on the agent from 82-86 really feel better for me. They have more width or girth which helps getting a good grip on small gun.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,771 Posts
The correct grips for a 1970 DS are the old Service type checkered with Silver Colt medallions.
This type over lap on the bottom of the grip frame to form a full grip...........

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Wood Hardwood Tool Wood stain Carmine

The post-1973 Colt "Combat" wood grips are sometimes preferred for shooting..........

Sleeve Font Magenta Electric blue Jersey

New replicas of both are available, and originals often turn up on eBay.....Just be wary of Asian replicas, or pre-1966 DS grips that were made for the older long grip frame..........

Revolver Guitar accessory Bicycle part Font String instrument accessory

Some sources for newly made replicas.............

I think Deer Hollow, a member here, may make very high quality exact replicas. Site may be down right now........

·
Registered
230 Posts
older long grip frame
Does anyone know why they switched to a shorter grip frame on all these D frames? I assumed it was to get a slight material savings while giving them more options for grip styles / compatibility. Being relatively newer to the revolver side of things, I was really surprised when I took the targets off my first Police Positive Special. Just curious.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think you are correct in your assumption that Colt switched to the short frame grip in 1966 for all the "D" frame revolvers as a cost savings idea. Since the Agent was introduced with this short grip frame it required two different frame styles to be used. I think Colt decided to standardize on the short frame only to save money. They could make several grip styles to cover the different models of "D" frame revolvers instead of making two different frames. It does give a person more options when deciding on what style of grips they would like, such as a square butt vs. round butt design. I personally like a square butt on the Detective Special. Here is a picture of my 1969 Detective Special with aftermarket fake pearl grips in the square butt design, along with the original style round butt grips that came on gun.
Sandal Metal Font Machine Fashion accessory

1 - 20 of 21 Posts