Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about my \"new\"Colt King Cobra.

I got my high polished stainless King Cobra (4") out of lay-away today. What's good to use to clean it, particularly the front cylinder rings? This one looks almost new and I don't want to scratch it any. Also, when was it made? Serial number is KK9681. Thanks for any information.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
Re: Question about my \"new\"Colt King Cobra.

You'll have to call Colt for a date, since the available serial number index ends with 1985.

Colt will give the date made over the phone, but no other info.

To remove the carbon from the front of the cylinder, the fastest AND safest method is to buy a "Lead-Away" type cloth at the gun store.

This is a yellow cloth that removes the burn rings NOW, and without risking damage to the gun.

DO NOT use these on a blued gun....it also removes bluing NOW.

For normal cleaning a good stainless or coated rod, BRONZE (NOT stainless) brushes, patches, and whatever bore solvent you like is best.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 04-13-2005).]

·
Registered
448 Posts

I agree on the Lead Away cloth. They really work good and be sure to seal them in a plastic bag when not in use so whatever is in them doesn't dry out. They will turn black, but they still keep working. Don't use them on blued guns. They are made by Kleen Bore and run between $4 and $5.

[This message has been edited by M2HB (edited 04-13-2005).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for your recommendations on Lead Away Cloth. I'll get some tomorrow. What do you use to wipe down the rest of the gun? This Colt has the brightest shine I've ever seen on a stainless gun. I thought it was nickel plating when I first bought it.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Would the Lead-away be safe for nickel plating? I can never seem to get the front of the cylinder on my nickel Python clean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts