Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '48 OMT .38 Heavy Barrel today; it has some minor wear, but overall is in very good shape. It even had the box, although that's not worth anything to me. Although there's very, very little wear to the hand, star, or cylinder, it doesn't lock up as tight as my other 3 Colt double-actions; it seems sort of "S&W" tight. Can this be normal, or is there something wrong. I bought it from a reputable shop, there wouldn't be any problem with a return, but I got it for a fair price, and would much rather keep it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bob,when you mean "not as tight",or S&W tight'are you referring to the ability of the cylinder to move front to rear,or that it can still be "rotated" a little by hand??Colts have a 2 position hand,and when the trigger is pulled,any extra rotation SHOULD be taken up,and the gun will lock up very tight! Hold the hammer back,while pulling the trigger,in single action.to check this. When you are in trouble is when the locking bolt doesn't snap into one of the cylinder notches on cocking,but remains "outside it".

The amount of this varies,and some will be out of time and not correctly lock up. Without seeing the gun I can't say for sure.

Good Luck, Bud

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My error. I woke up at three a.m. thinking about this! I was checking at full-cock, and had forgotten that the Colt system "tightens up" when the trigger is pulled. About 4:30 I couldn't stand it anymore, and went and tried it; locks up tight when the trigger is pulled. Whew! Sorry for wasting your time.
Bob

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Bob,
Good to hear that it locks up tight when you pull the trigger but locking up tight is not the whole story, so here's something else that will get you up at 3 AM, does the chambers in the cylinder line up with the barrel when it locks up "tight", tight is nice but not if the chambers and barrel are not in alignment.
I P.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullet Bob:
My error. I woke up at three a.m. thinking about this! I was checking at full-cock, and had forgotten that the Colt system "tightens up" when the trigger is pulled. About 4:30 I couldn't stand it anymore, and went and tried it; locks up tight when the trigger is pulled. Whew! Sorry for wasting your time.
Bob
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good,
Now you can get a full nights sleep.
I P.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullet Bob:
Range rod says "YES"!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've never been able to figur out this range rod thing. If a rod is run down the barrel it cannot be any larger than the bore or caliber. It will not enter the grooves. I would want my chamber to line up with the grooves. I can see where a rod would go down a poorly aligned chamber.

My own test is to look down the barrel with a pencil light and see if I can see the edges of the chamber mouths.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
While it is possible to make a range rod with the grooves, you would have to have one for all the twist rates used by the various makers. This would make it exspensive due to all the machining necessary. So the rod only fits the lands as it's not meant to be a precise measurement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts