Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... you guys know about my Python and that I decided to keep it and shoot it. Here is the thing. I have been shooting it at 15 yards only with .38 special. It is consistant but it is consistantly 6 inches high no matter how I adjust the sights. Is this normal or is this a problem? BTW, I'm using WWB .38.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I'm no expert but from what I've heard slower rounds strike the target higher, the opposite of what intuition would indicate. This is the result of the bullet spending more time in the barrel during recoil, don't know if this is true, just what I've heard. I've never fired my Python at a paper target, so I'm not sure if my gun would also do the same thing.

Jared

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Do you have a nice, tight group? Say 2 inches or less? At 15 yards you should have a very tight group, but not six inches high. Are you shooting from a rest? Its hard to say what you are doing or the guns doing without being there to see it. I would try "ball and dummy" loading and shooting from a rest and see what happens. Its hard to believe the gun would be off that much.

·
Registered
715 Posts
jphendren, you're correct. The term used for the time the bullet spends in the barrel is dwell time. Look at a SAA. You'll notice the front sight is very tall. That's because the round it shoots is low velocity. Compare the front sights of a .38 Spl and .22LR Diamondback. Same thing. The rimfire's front sight is almost flush with the barrel rib compared to the .38's.

Now of course each gun is a little different.
CaptainClay, you may consider filing down the front sight a little on your gun and touch it up with cold blue or simply replace it with a shorter piece.

HTH

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I think it's due to flinch. I shoot high all the time due to flinch. Shoot from a bench rest and see if this solves your problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
without knowing group size we dont know what is going on.. a gun can shoot high with poor groups when your not holding on to it firmly enough. holding it too high on the grip can do the same, lower your handhold on the grip and see what happens. barrel lenght and barrel weight also come into play here with velocity and bullet weight.. if your getting a differnt group try some heavier bullets or lighter if your varying from standard bullet weight.. make sure your sight screws are not stripped. the rear sight should be all the way down, touching the frame and not over tightened.. you could be moveing the sight the wrong way (up or large space between sight and frame is the wrong way).. dont permanantly alter an expensive gun like this unless youve totally exhausted all possibilites including a trip to the gunsmith.. any alteration will probably reduce the guns value by 1/3 or more, and may not fix the problem. dave..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts