Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some help on Python i recently bought.4" Nickle s/n 376XX. It looks like hammer is fire blue on top of spur, nickle on sides and trigger is fire blue. Excellant condition, barely turn ring. Any idea of date of manu and market value. It is a solid 95% gun. Will try to get some pics up when I get home. Thanks

·
Registered
800 Posts
Blue trigger and hammer doesn't sound right on a nickel python. Possible refinish, proofhouse dates it around 1964. It sound like a $1200+ shooter IMO

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Your pictures will help immensely. Some of the people on this site are simply amazing at identifying what is correct, and what is not. It's easy to take offense to things when you find out they are contrary to what you were told/think. It can be an expensive learning curve, ask me how I know :). Even if it isn't the safe queen you thought it was it can be exactly what you were looking for without even knowing it. Enjoy it in good health sir!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i can't figure out how to post pics.....i can email a couple if someone can re-post....thanks
BTW don't think this is a re-finish gun......don't know about origins of non-checkered target grips....any help appreciated.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone help with info on the grips, and whether or not I should try to find replacement trigger, hammer, and sights or just sell it like it is.......

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,890 Posts
The grips are also not correct.
During Colt's 150th anniversary year they used the so called "Large Pony" medallions with a "150" on the medallion.
For several years after that they used the Large Pony medallions only they didn't have the "150".

The grips on your gun were made sometime during the post-anniversary period and may have been bought from Colt as an after market item.
"Usually" smooth Python grips are grips someone sanded the checkering off of, but these grips are a little more fancy grained then Colt grips of that era usually were. Colt did sell fancy grained smooth Python grips, and these may be a pair.

As for the incorrect features, finding Python hammers, triggers and sights is near impossible, and finding them in nickel is like finding a gold mine in your yard.
In no case would you be able to recoup the cost of buying new parts even if you could find them and having them installed.

In any event, installing new parts to make the gun look original is somewhat unethical. It's no longer in original condition.
If you plan on selling the gun, sell it as-is.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's only "somewhat unethical" if you don't disclose that fact. I appreciate the info on grips, and wasn't aware that Python parts were in such demand as I've really never owned a Python or researched them. I bought this one from someone going through some health issues who's an old friend so I'm into it kinda deep. Thanks again for the insight, that's what i love about the collectors forums that I frequent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.