Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at two different SAA holsters from Safariland. Their Texas Outlaw and their Gold Miner. Both are lined. One is leather reinforced to hold the holster open and the other is steel reinforced to hold the holster open. Can someone please tell me the pros and cons and give an opinion please? Thanks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I can only assume the metal reinforced model will be stiffer. It appears the holsters are geared toward the Cowboy Competition market, where fast draws are needed. Are you interested in the more traditional styles by El Paso Saddlery or some other makers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am open to any maker. I just like the simple drop loop style that I found on Safariland. I am not wanting all that fancy stitching and tooling. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Do some research on styles -the 'Mexican Loop' paired up with a moneybelt rig was most common in the Frontier Era, so figure out what appeals to you and your intended use

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,616 Posts
These would be higher riding holsters when worn with a standard belt.
If you matched them up with a drop loop belt that has the lowered loop for the holster, the holster would ride lower.

The only real difference between the two you listed is the steel lined holster would stay open better and can be formed to provide a tighter or looser fit for a faster draw or slightly better retention.
Usually steel lining allows the cylinder to rotate in the holster as the hammer is cocked during a fast draw.
In that kind of speed draw, the hand moves backward and the thumb catches the hammer and cocks it while the gun is still in the holster.
Then the gun is lifted out, making sure the trigger finger is kept straight and OUTSIDE the trigger guard until the muzzle is pointing at the target.

The rawhide lined holster will not be as stiff and will be just slightly lighter. Unlike the steel lined version the rawhide can't be re-formed for a tighter or looser fit.

Both of these holsters are speed holster designs, only lacking the forward rake or slant that puts the muzzle forward for a faster draw.
If you're looking for a fast draw holster, the steel lined version would be preferred.
Note that this type of holster is not real great as a field or mounted holster because they aren't designed to retain the gun well, they're designed for a fast draw.
The hammer thong is the only thing keeping the gun in the holster during movement and the thong is not all that reliable as a retention device.
For these reasons, this design is commonly known as a Hollywood holster because they're mostly used in the movies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts