Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading in another forum that recoil spring life in a Gov. Model was 2000 rounds and in a New Agent 500 rounds.

This is news to me. Is it true?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Kayzap- don't believe the hype. I recently called Colt about this very same subject. I was told that in a Defender/New Agent it was 5000 rounds...and furthermore that a 45 version would require springs sooner than its 9mm counterpart.

Until the ghost of Sam Colt or an actual Colt engineer tells me different, I'm shooting until I start to notice FTE, FTRTB or stovepipes and then contact the company for a new spring set.

Happy shooting!

HR

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,081 Posts
One good indicator that a recoil spring is about used up is to watch the ejection distance.
When the cases are ejected farther than normal for that specific gun it's getting time to replace.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
I bought a used SVI .40 S&W pistol (high cap/polymer frame semi-auto) about ten years ago. I've shot many thousands of rounds of major caliber ammo through it and never changed ANY springs. The only problem I ever had was a broken extractor about seven years ago. I put a new one in and it's humming right along.
I think the advocates of frequent spring changes are the spring makers!

- - - Buckspen

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Seems that life of springs is a question of eternal life itself. I have worked on guns hundreds years old that still had good spring when the rest of the gun was wore out. Springs in other things last almost forever, like valve springs in automobile engines, flexed couple thousand times per mile and last well over 100k miles. Chassis springs same situation. It would seem a gun spring properly designed and manufactured of best alloy steel, tempered, etc should last as long as the rest of the gun. I obviously don't have any answers but would really appreciate some convincing information.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What really surprised me was that Colt sold springs and spring kits cheaper than everyone else.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've shot 1903's that haven't had a spring change in over 100 years. Its amazing what those old Colts can still do.

The only reason I would purchase another spring set would be to get one before prices go up. If history is a guide, my great grandchild may have to complete the spring service sometime around 2100 AD :cool:!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I agree with some of the others.
I don't buy the HYPE to change out the recoil spring at specific intervals,like oil changes...........I use F.L guide rods, as I like them but I won't say they contribute anything to spring life, 'cause I can't prove it.......... But I don't change springs w/o a good reason.
I think the only reason the question gets answered with a specifics, is because the questioner "wants" an answer, and giving a "specific change point" makes the answerer feel superior, or it amounts to a sale for him.

Tom

·
Registered
267 Posts
My 1918 appears to have original springs still in it. Well, I am assuming it does since everything else on the gun is original. The springs are a bit soft, the hammer spring is actually loose at the top of the stoke. For something that is about 100 years old I can't really complain. Just keep that in mind before you start swapping springs.

My feeling is I used to change springs like I changed the oil on my truck. Now, I tend to shoot until either I have a spring related failure to feed or eject. Springs last a lot longer than you would think.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Where can I find a 1903 Colt Magazine......
I have a pocket hammer and want to find a second magazine and some old .38 Auto ammo.

Terry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts