Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Colt forum i have a question about sherriffs model Colt single action revolver. Where can i locate a list of the different calibers that the sherriffs model was chambered for?

I have gone through every single book i own about western guns that mention this model several times but i have not found what i am looking for.

If any of you can help me with this i would appreciate it very much sincerely and respectfully mg357 a proud member of the Colt forum. p.s. this information will not be used for a writing project i'm just looking to expand my knowledge about this specific Colt revolver.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Larry Wilson's (am I allowed to use that name on here?) Colt Firearms might be a start for the first generation guns. Don Wilkerson's excellent volumes on the 2nd and 3rd generations will give you all you want on that score.

Rio

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Larry Wilson's (am I allowed to use that name on here?) Colt Firearms might be a start for the first generation guns. Don Wilkerson's excellent volumes on the 2nd and 3rd generations will give you all you want on that score.

Rio
Personally I could live with initials only!

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
I've personaly owned or seen first hand 45 colt 44 WCF 38 WCF 32 WCF 41 colt and 38 colt in the ejectorless (sheriff's) model single action through the years but surely some sheriff models were made in some scarcer calibers and I just haven't seen them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I don't think you'll get much scarcer then .41 Colt. I'd like to have one of those.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Are you looking for a specific generation? I would think TBOCF would be a good bet for 1st gen. As already pointed out Wilkerson's books on the 2nd & 3rd Gen SA's are about as thorough as it gets with regard to Sheriff Models - as I believe they were among his favorites.. I don't recall seeing anything in 2nd gen other than the 503ea 45 cal Sheriff Models w/3" barrel that Centennial Arms special ordered through Colt in '60. (Consec. pair pictured in my avatar..) In 3rd gen - other than the standard production calibers I don't know how you would get a handle what was produced with regard to special orders.. For example, I have a 3rd gen Sheriff Model w/2" barrel in 32-20 that Wilkerson special ordered through the Custom Shop back around '98 or '99.. I've been collecting the Sheriff's Models since the mid 70's and don't ever recall a book specifically relating to Sheriff Models and a complete list of calibers they were produced in. I have quite a bit of literature on the Sheriff Models and will take a look in the next couple of days to see if I can find any more specific information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts