Colt Forum banner

Question about the value of a 1927 38 PP

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  greenville1962 
#1 ·
I have a 1927 38PP still in the box with all the paper work and even has the cleaning brush. The gun has never been fired except for the test shot done at the factor can someone give me a idea what its worth? Its chrome with a 6" barrel and in mint condition! Any info would be great.
Also would it hurt the value to shoot this gun?

#5 ·
One more error ( sorry for my haste to ask and not provide the right info ) the barrel length is 4 inches and the box says wood nickel. The rest of that part of the label is missing but the serial number is 177-704 with a D under that.Thanks for any help not looking to sell this pistol just want to have the info so when I pass it on to my son he will know what he has.

#7 ·
WOW, thats a beauty!! That is a great family heirloom you have there. As far as value, I'll defer to more informed Members on here.

#8 ·
Thanks its kind of special to us as well. I really want to shoot it but not at the risk of hurting the value of it. When we cleaned out my grandfathers house it was in the safe , loaded and still in the box. I am going to pass it on to my son when my time is done and hope he passes it on his child some day.

#9 ·
Thanks for posting the photo's of your family treasure. You have an excellent nickel Police Positive in original condition. Having the box and paperwork does add value and I would recommend that you keep the gun in it's original unfired condition. Do not use any oil or cleaner on the nickel finish. The current value would be in the $800-$1000 range.

#10 ·
Thanks that's about what I figured for the value and the advise to not fire it. What is the best way to store it to not allow any thing to happen to the finish. I found one small spot where it is grey loooking from where the cylinder was laying against the paper in the box. I want this to be a long time family treasure and any advise would be helpful.

#11 ·
What a beautiful gun. You don't often see these in like new condition like this. Especially ones in nickel plate.
I too would advise against firing it if it is indeed unfired. Also I would get an Colt archive letter for it to complete the package.
It is $75 and in my opinion well worth having for a Colt in such nice condition.
Here's the info:

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC > Customer Services > Archive Services

#12 ·
that is a beauty! if you are in western n.c., i can assume that it has been raining every day for the past two weeks! the most important thing in storing the little jewel is keeping it in a place with very low humidity. i will admit to being a little o.c.d., but i wax them with rennaisance wax, and store (especially nickel) guns in a humidity-controlled safe. i put a prop-rod through the triggerguard, and the gun only really touches anything at the front heel of the butt (on the wood), and a tiny place at the lower side of the end of the barrel.
here is a pic, so you will know what i am talking about!

i like to keep the air "free" around them. don't wrap it up in anything (possible exception being a silicon treated "gun sock"), and especially don't put it in a holster!

the ren wax is great stuff!!!

#13 ·
Clean it well with Eezox, then apply the Renaissance Wax. Run some searches for the use of these two fine gun care products, and they will extend the longevity of your fine Colt. After initial cleaning, later cleanup is easier if Eezoxed and Ren Waxed. Also, use some fine wood care product(s) on the stocks. There are many threads about cleaning guns and stocks.

I am of the opinion that, if you shoot a couple boxes of ammo through the revolver, then clean it really well, nobody can determine whether or not it has been fired (assuming you do not drop it, abuse it, and are careful to avoid the cylinder drag line), so the value of the revolver will not decrease. Of course, I am not suggesting that you lie about whether or not it has been fired. I also think that "unfired" [outside the factory] is fairly meaningless puffery, since one cannot determine whether or not it has been fired a few times. As you have seen, others disagree and think you should keep it unfired [outside the factory]. They are all test fired at the factory before sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.