Colt Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a maimed 6" .38 SPL Army Special a while back at a gun show. Shoots great groups but a really serious Bubba had cut off the front sight and replaced it with a weird copper arrangement that causes it to shoot waaay high (like 15"!). I want to get her back to point of aim but replacing the front sight on what is, after all, a shooter, looks to be an expensive proposition.

Today I saw a nice used Official Police barrel (with front sight) for $60. Seems like replacing the Army Special barrel with it would be a good solution. Are the Army Special and Official Police barrels interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for advice.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Army Special and ( older ) Official Police Barrels, should interchange just fine as far as that they were the same Thread.

However, it is not so simple as merely swapping one out, for the other, since every Barrel was hand fitted to the Frame originally, far as where the Front Sight ends up, and, far as regulating the clearance between the edge of the Forcing Cone, and, the Cylinder.

Finding a competent Gunsmith to do this will be expensive.

Vastly less expensive ( or even free ) would be to just put on a new-to-it Front Sight, which you can get off of most any similar length Colt Barrel of the era, and, carefully fit and solder on yourself.

Or you can make a Front Sight from scratch out of a piece of Steel, carefully fit it and solder it on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.