Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then, (maybe once every two months) my computer will dump my cookies and I have to sign back into my forums.

It happened today. I was online checking my mail, signed off and went out for an hour, leaving the PC on.
When I came back, my cookies had been dumped.

I have DSL, and a fairly new PC.
I've checked everything I can check, and can't find any reason for this.

Is this something related to DSL, or some software problem?

Possibly related to this, when you visit a web site like a forum, many of them will highlight posts you're visited before.
Every now and then, I "loose" these earmarks. The site cookies are still valid and I don't have to sign in again, but the posts I've looked at are no longer marked.

Thanks,

·
Registered
400 Posts
Have you run a disk clean-up on your hard drive? Or maybe your virus scanner might've dumped them. I'd say you or someone else ran some sort of software that dumped your cookies. I'm not an expert in this field however.

Dave

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one uses it but me.
I run disk cleanup and all other maintenance weekly.

My virus scan is McAffee and it has to be manually started to do a scan.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well if you've been running it and it hasn't happened then it beats me. Sorry I couldn't help.

Dave

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Cookies expire. If you use Internet Explorer, select Tools menu, Internet Options, Settings under Temporary Internet files, and under Temporary Internet files folder, select View Files. You will see cookie expiration dates.

If you use Netscape Navigator, select Edit menu, Preferences, Privacy & Security, Cookies, click on Manage Stored Cookies. As you select each cookie, the expiration date is shown along with other attributes. In Netscape, you can also limit the life of cookies to the current session or a specified number of days.

While you're at the Settings window in Internet Explorer, also note the amount of space allocated for temporary internet files. Filling the space could result in "out with the old, in with the new" or some automated cleanup. I don't really know just what to expect there.

Also, file cleanup programs will often delete those temporary files, but you should notice it right then, of course.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the Cookies files, but that was no real help.

General consensus is, "WTH, live with it", and that sounds like good advice. I have better things to worry about than an occasional PC glitch.

Thanks to all.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The idea was only to note if there were a lot of expirations around the same time, but it is indeed unlikely that they would all be clustered around your break. I would most suspect some automated temporary file cleanup, but I am not familiar with McAfee. I schedule Norton programs to do some automated checking and cleanup, but there is always an informational window from that process. Aside from the minor irritation and lingering curiosity, I think your solution is correct. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm a computer tech and this is a tough one to figure out without actually looking at the computer. Cookies expire, but they should also renew themselves, particularly when you visit a web site as often as this one.

Questions: Do you regularly download Internet Explorer Security Updates? Do you have Internet Explorer 6.0 with service pack 2 installed?

Try simply setting your Internet Options back to default:

Select Tools, Internet Options (or "Internet Options" from the "Control Panel"), click on the "Advanced" tab all the way on the top right, then click on the button at the bottom right of the window that is labeled "Restore Defaults".

Let me know if this helps.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've reset the internet options.

I'm running Windows Update on automatic, so I always get any updates.
Service pack 2 was pre-installed when I bought the PC.

We'll see what happens with the internet options reset, although this only happens once every few months at most.

Thanks for the help all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts