Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in my 60th year and after shooting and owning more 1911 and Colts that I can remember, I thought that I’d like to purchase a Colt that was manufactured in my birth year, 1960. After thinking about this conundrum for a while, I’ve drawn a blank as how to approach this search. I have the serial number range for this year but otherwise, I feel like I just stepped off a bus in the middle of nowhere.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
985 Posts
You can put an Want To Buy ad here on the Forum. You also can look on sites like Gun Broker and Guns International by searching listed firearms for sale using the search word and date "Colt 1960". Keep in mind that searching like that will normally bring up a number of different models but you can scroll through the listed firearms to look at the ones that may interest you. Good luck.

·
Registered
621 Posts
A conundrum indeed. If you post a WTB by using the serial number range, you might get swamped with sellers. I think I would include a pictures request, & you must add a condition corollary.

For example: Want to buy a 1960 year only Colt 1911 in 95-100% condition in the following serial number range....
New-in-the-box attracts premium dollars. Must be Excellent condition, all matching & original OEM parts only.
Please send submissions & pictures to me at.....

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
There was serial number overlap at the beginning and end of a production year. Charles Clawson tried to record low and high serial numbers for a given year. The highest serial number for a given year will also have lower numbers for the next year. Also, his serial numbers ended in 0, so his table is not exact.

I would try for mid year production unless the GM is accompanied by a Colt letter indicating 1960 production.

Government Model:

1959--- 283150-C to 286300-C
1960--- 285750-C to 288120-C
1961--- 287500-C to 290150-C

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
According to the "Blue Book Pocket Guide For Colt Dates Of Manufacture" you need to look for Government Model from serial number 285800C through 287999C. That's the given range for 1960.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. As soon as I build up some more posts, I will post up a WTB. Another question- are auction houses like RIA good sources? I know that the buyer premium is steep but this is a special purchase for me.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Every body want's firearm's from there birth year!
So far no luck with finding anything from my birth year.

·
Premium Member
1,884 Posts
I’m in my 60th year and after shooting and owning more 1911 and Colts that I can remember, I thought that I’d like to purchase a Colt that was manufactured in my birth year, 1960. After thinking about this conundrum for a while, I’ve drawn a blank as how to approach this search. I have the serial number range for this year but otherwise, I feel like I just stepped off a bus in the middle of nowhere.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
str8shuutr45,

Sometimes, there is a difference in "was manufactured in my birth year, 1960" and when a Pistol shipped. A typical COLT letter shows (only) the date of shipment. A Pistol Manufactured late in 1959, may have shipped in 1960. (One Manufactured late in 1960, may have shipped in 1961.)

See Post # 30 here:
https://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-semiauto-pistols/7349-dob-date-birth-questions-please-look-3.html

Best Regards,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m very glad I posted my question here. You guys have given me lots to consider and way points to keep an eye on. When I am successful, I’ll let everyone know by posting pictures. In the mean time, please post any other pieces of info to remember or to avoid. The depth and breadth of knowledge on this forum is pretty amazing.

·
Administrator
6,983 Posts
You can also search online using variations of this :
"1960 Colt Government for sale"
"1960 Colt for sale"
etc

1 - 14 of 14 Posts