Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard the older shooters prefered the Officers Model Special over the newer Officer Model Match. The OMM looked better, but the OMS out shot them.
My question is about the Officer Model Target that preceeded both of them. Was it a prefered shooter or was the OMS (which was the next generation) a much better shooter. I know all the older Bullseye shooters know the difference and I want to tap into some of that wisdom.
Thanks folks, theres a wealth of info here.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Majic,
I started shooting just as the Revolvers were on the way out ( I was 18 at the time, many, many years ago ) and the Autos started to take all the Medals in the Center Fire events.

All of the "older" shooters I've shot with and talked to at Camp Perry and all over the US seem to say that the OMT was the Top Gun of the Pre War years and the OMS was even better, mostly because of the sights. When Colt went to the OMM the sights were junk and the fitting up of the gun was not as good as the OMT or the OMS. The sights did not present as good a sight picture and were not very repeatable, when shooting in real Target matches you are shooting at 25 and 50 yards and if your sights will not adj. and hold there adj. or will not repete there adj. you don't stand much of a chance of winning. The OMM and the Colt Python may look nice and pretty but pretty don't win Matches. I guess it's like most things today, the fit up of guns are not like they used to be because it takes to much time to do it right. I guess that's why most Mfg. take a lot of "short cuts" because time is money.

All of the old timers I've talked to that really used these guns seem to say that the last good Colt revolver made for Target shooting was the OMS. IP

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Majic:
I have heard the older shooters prefered the Officers Model Special over the newer Officer Model Match. The OMM looked better, but the OMS out shot them.
My question is about the Officer Model Target that preceeded both of them. Was it a prefered shooter or was the OMS (which was the next generation) a much better shooter. I know all the older Bullseye shooters know the difference and I want to tap into some of that wisdom.
Thanks folks, theres a wealth of info here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr. Paine,
The 2 shooters I have personally talked to swore on the OMS. I just wondered where the OMT fit in as I have seen a decent one for sale. Now the decision, cause with my luck I buy the OMT and a like new OMS pops up. Or pass on the OMT and nothing shows for years. If it won't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts