Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There-
I'm new to the forum and also to Colt. Actually I have not purchased a Colt yet but I'm looking at a Colt Trooper III, .357. It has a 4in. barrel and it is blued. It's probably around a 90 and is in very good physical condition showing , what looks to me like moderate use. If I buy this, it would be for the range and also for HD. Sorry but no pictures. The finish is original and looks very good. It is in very good mechanical condition.

My LGS is asking $700 (I'm in eastern Massachusetts) and I'm wondering if this price is reasonable.

Thank you - Jim

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Way too high . A LGS here has a 6 inch blue as nib , early 70s production with box ,for $700. one in the shape you are describing is not worth more than$550 IMHO, keep looking

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all-
I really appreciate your input. There is a gun show coming to my area this October and now that I've decided to buy a Colt .357 I'll have some time to do research.

I really want a .357 to use as a shooter and HD and this time around it will be a colt. I'm thinking that a Trooper III will fill that bill, any other ideas?. I look at Gunbroker once in a while but have no feel / experience in the Colt domain. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards - Jim

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
A Trooper MkIII in .357 should handle your requirements perfectly. These are well finished tank tough Colt DA .357 revolvers that can still be purchased for a reasonable amount. Don't dry fire without snap caps and it will last a lifetime. My go-to .357 is a Trooper MkIII with a 4" barrel and a Wolff Spring kit installed. I also have the smaller duty stocks on it. A great shooting Colt .357 Magnum revolver. $700 for one in the condition you describe sounds high to me. Keep looking. They are out there. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Dad has had several Trooper MkIII 357s. They are nice shooters. Not sure about prices in your area, but in my neck of the woods $700 would be pretty high.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same advice here - I recently purchased a blued 6" Trooper MK III . No box or papers but otherwise it is pristine . I paid $610.00. It is at my local smith now having an orange front sight ramp installed and a Wolff spring kit.
Joe

·
Registered
168 Posts
That price is definitely reasonable. It won't last long. See my AVI >> paid $825 for that Trooper MK III in my area. A solid shooter and only going up in value. The bluing and walnut stocks are beautiful. A great addition to your collection:)!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks all-I really appreciate your input. There is a gun show coming to my area this October and now that I've decided to buy a Colt .357 I'll have some time to do research. - Jim
Hell...a gun show is the LAST place I'd expect to find a "reasonable" price!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Don't want the hijack a thread, but I just bought one today. A 6" MKIII for $575 I would rate it about 95% perfect bluing packmeyers and no box. It appears to have been fired very little. No drag line, nothing on the cylinder face only wear is on the ejector rod. Still trying to date it however, Did not show up with Colt on the web, Proofhouse didn't have this Serial range. 760**L I am guessing '79 or '80. It is in "jail" for 10 days...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts