Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1911 has matching numbers on the frame and slide. These stamps are located on the top of the slide. What do they represent?
Trigger Laptop Gadget Electronic device Bumper

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
My 1911 has matching numbers on the frame and slide. These stamps are located on the top of the slide. What do they represent? View attachment 753990
Pooky,

C 174610, most likely, is a 1934 COLT Government Model Pistol that shipped to a Foreign Government.

So, the serial number under the FPS is 174610 ? Please show it to us? And, what are the markings/stampings on top of the Receiver at the disconnector hole?

Best Regards,

·
Registered
384 Posts
Many other countries bought Commercial Government Models to use as service side arms. I have a 1915 Government Model that was bought by Argentina; in its case it has the serial number marked on the barrel, slide, and magazine.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Pistol looks like an Argentine. Obviously not original finish in Parkerized form. Pete

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
No offense intended, but it is advisible to use the specific model names.

A Government Model is a civilian Model 0 pistol.

A 1911 or 1911A1 is a US military Model O pistol.

You have a civilian pistol even if sold to a foreign govt. for military use.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This devalues the 1911, doesn't it?
Not to offend as it is so easy to do now, but I don't give a rainbow colored fornication of its worth. It's mine. It will forever be mine. I would just like to know what the other numbers mean.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Many of us like to understand valuation of firearms. No reflection on what it's worth to you.

Neat 1911 and thanks for sharing. I have learned something from this!

·
Premium Member
2,214 Posts
Pooky,

Interesting Pistol !

The markings on your Pistol look legitimate. (The "No 8095" looks like it might have been applied at COLT. ?)

Presumably, No 8095, represents the 8095th Pistol in a COLT Contract ? Clawson, in his GM book, covers Foreign Sales in Chapter Seven. The only Countries that had purchases above 8095 Pistols from Feb 1924 through May 1942 were Argentina and Brazil. AFAIK, the Pistols shipped to Brazil were Not numbered on the Top of the Slide. And, the only ? Argentine contract with Pistols above 8095, were the Model 1927 Pistols [10000 total] shipped in 1927 and 1928. ? (C 174610 is Not a typical Model 1927.)

One could speculate why C 174610 is numbered No 8095 on top of the Slide, however, it looks like the most likely way to know is to letter your Pistol. (There is some evidence in "MILITARY PISTOLS OF ARGENTINA" by Alex Gherovici that C 174610 might be a POLICIA FEDERAL or maybe a POLICIA DE LA CAPITAL Pistol [without the typical markings]. ?)

If you Letter it,...let us know....?

Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
My 1911 has matching numbers on the frame and slide. These stamps are located on the top of the slide. What do they represent?
Thanks for posting your pistol for us to look at. Have you had it long, and have you fired it? Just curious. Be interested to know where you got it. Is that a Colt barrel in it? Wouldn't mind seeing the markings on the barrel and/or barrel lug.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for posting your pistol for us to look at. Have you had it long, and have you fired it? Just curious. Be interested to know where you got it. Is that a Colt barrel in it? Wouldn't mind seeing the markings on the barrel and/or barrel lug.
[/QUOTE
Got it from my dad. Haven't shot it. The only markings on th barrel
The only marks on the barrel are these. Got it from my dad. I haven't shot it yet.
Automotive tire Electronic device Audio equipment Office equipment Wood

1 - 19 of 19 Posts