Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 62 year old eyes and have a question. I have to wear 175 power readers for up close but can still see good at farther distances. When shooting my open sight handguns at 25 - 30 feet I have to decide if I want to see my sights through the glasses and the target be blurry or vise versa. I am sure others around here have had the same problem. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I’m 61 and have real issues due to near sightedness. I had my ophthalmologist help with a prescription that gives reasonable view of the sights but the target can be blurry. I chose to increase my depth of field view by creating a pin hole in electrical tape that I then placed over one of my lenses in my glasses. This helps a lot but it ain’t great. My 8 inch Anaconda has a Burris scope and that’s the only real way I can see well when I shoot one of my handguns.

The shooting glasses are not progressives or bifocals, just one prescription that gives “sharp” sights and makes shooting fun again. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
It is an optical principle that if you look close, you cannot see far. But, it you look far, you can still see close. It is impossible for the eye to focus on three focal planes. Thus, we were taught:

1. Front sight
2. Front sight
3. You guessed it.

However, do have doc look around for cataracts, excess interocular pressure and nerve and vein condition. None is good and they are degenerative. Recently, I was essentially blind due to "world class" cataracts, according to the surgeon. Thanks to Abbott Laboratories, I now have better vision in my left eye than I did at birth. Cataract gone and new lens inserted. All it cost was a shooter-grade Python - but I already have one. If I can shake this virus, will have the same done in the right eye. Right will focus to about arm's length, and the left closer than that. I will need reader's but I am done with prescriptions, as the lenses are set in stone, so to speak.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,657 Posts
When I was shooting a lot I had my optometrist set up shooting glasses that focused on the front sight.
The rear sight was slightly blurry, the target was blurry but the front was sharp and clear.
He had me hold up a ruler edge at the distance I wanted and he adjusted the prescription for that distance.
For most people a pistol held at arms length will put the front sight almost exactly the distance of a rifle front sight.

My buddy does a lot of long range and accuracy shooting and has been the state champion for the last three years.
He ordered a special pair of shooting glasses with a front sight focus and interchangeable lenses of different colors for different conditions.

If you use a red dot sight, get distance vision.
If you use a scope, just adjust the focus for your eye.

Another option for less active shooting is a Merit adjustable aperture device that sticks to your glass lens with a suction cup.
You adjust the aperture until the front sight is sharp.

·
Registered
647 Posts
We have one eye doctor in town that specializes in exactly that. He will set you up for rifle, pistol or shotgun. He fixed up one high power shooter with different glasses for prone vs sitting and offhand.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
With no more correction than you are using try the 1.0 readers next time you are at Wally World. The distance loses some sharpness, but helps with the sights.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
My problem is I have developed "The shakes". Cant do much about that.
Careful there or you might become a human bump-stock! Sounds like Gabapentin city?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've been struggling with this as well. Until my mid-40's, my vision was 20/15 or better. Having had a reputation as someone who could see very well at long distances and who was also a "crack pistol shot", it has been especially hard for me to come to terms with my age-related presbyopia. I still see at distance very well, but anything within arm's reach is a blur, and my pistol shooting has suffered greatly. I've played around with a monocle just long enough to be relatively certain that my brain adjusts well to having one eye regulated for near vision and the other for far vision, and I've been toying with the idea of wearing a single contact lens in my right eye. Probably would have already tried that, except one can't just order contact lenses without first seeing an ophthalmologist. Why one can't just order some "reader" contact lenses without a prescription is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I'm 82 and before my cataract surgery last year I used a Merit Optical attachment on my glasses. Since my surgery I can now see the sights pretty good. The old age shakes are a different pain in the butt to deal with. I mostly shoot two handed using the push pull method.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Well we all suffer from ailments as get older putting real meaning to the expression; "Getting old sucks."
My dilema is a retina detchment in my left dominate eye, and I am left handed. Being left hand I can do quite a few thing right hand because after all it is a right handed world. I still shoot but it isn't quite the same anymore.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
I have always had to switch hit on lefty-righty stuff, being one of the 10%. Write and throw left-handed, but swing a bat and shoot right handed. Since my left eye is repaired and the right just a foggy blur, I find that I have, unknown to me, switched to left eye dominance even while shooting right handed. So, I guess I'll switch back once the right eye is done. I did without glasses for 66 years, and don't really like to search for 'accessories' so that I can see. I can tolerate readers once everything is stabilized. As to sights, we'll see (no pun there, huh?) how that works out.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Consistency is the key. Focus on the front sight and keep it's alignment with a fuzzy rear sight and a fuzzy blob of a target the same for each shot. You'll get an acceptable group. If target is too out of focus try using peripheral vision to align the front sight in the middle of the target frame.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Something I discovered a while back is that peep sights help my eyes to have a deeper depth of field by making them work thru a smaller aperture. Most things are in focus from fairly close out to 50 yards or so. It works so well for me that I have installed a peep or ring rear sight on my Glock 34 also! Go to your local gun store and find something with peep sights and give it a try. I think you will be surprised at the results. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts