Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these types of products safe for removing light rust from older blued guns, for example, early 1900s?

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
That's what I use - with plenty of oil.

It will remove light rust easily, and the underlying finish isn't disturbed.

I've used it on both blued and nickeled 19th Century revolvers with success.

You can unravel some of it to wrap around your bore brush, and it will dramatically clean the plastic crud from your shotgun bore, as well as much of the fouling in older rifled bores.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Man, that scares me, but it could work fine. I would need to hear from a lot of antique gun collectors first. I have an old Colt single action that someone took I presume steel wool to, and really scratched the heck out of it all over.

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
The material used in the 'Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner' isn't steel wool.

Steel wool can scratch - this stuff doesn't.

It's not going to turn a brown gun back to blue - but for light rust, I've not found anything better, and I'm one of those antique gun collectors.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Yeah, I've been collecting for 40 years. Just have never attempted restoration. But it might be worth me trying it on a discrete area, or an old junky gun. I don't like to touch my Colts with anything but oil!

·
Registered
10,001 Posts
Hit a couple of garage sales and find yourself an old shotgun, one whose finish has seen better days - and give it a try.

Use plenty of oil, and turn the pad every so often, to ensure you're using it fully.

Upon final wipe-down, I'll bet you're surprised at how 'presentable' the shotgun turned out to be - it should look 'well-cared-for' when you're done.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts