Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to a local estate auction this weekend. My first one because they have a couple revolvers I am interested in. There is no information other then the photo. Unknown condition. But from the photo they look to be ok. Looking for suggestions on what those of you who are more experienced in this would bid? Thank you. In picture: Colt Police Positive 38 special rev. and a S&W 38

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The Smith & Wesson appears to be a Model 10 dating no earlier than the mid 1950s.

The Colt appears 'pre-War' and to me would be the more appealing Revolver of the two.

Can not tell well enough in the images, for condition, but, 2, 3, 4 hundred would likely be a 'can't go wrong' for the Colt, ( which appears to me to be a 'Police Positive Special' and hence, chambered in either .38 Special ) assuming it's mechanism and Bore are good...and assuming the Blueing is original and fairly well preserved.

2-sh tops, or mid 2s at most, would be my casual evaluation, for the newish ( well, latter 1950s or 1960s or who knows even 1970s ) S & W, which is likely some older Police 'Trade In' and seems to have quite a bit of Blueing loss.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Oyeboten. Per the info sheet posted by the auction company they are a Colt Police Positive 38 special rev. and a S&W 38 special. That is the only info they have. I should have put that in my original post. Forgot. I just added that to the post. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
Well if it is like the local auctions around here you might as well stay home......

Last one I attended this summer rusted Italian and German cheapo stuff brought $500 or more ......

People were crazy.....maybe it is better where you live....RR

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
You'd do well to look for similar condition revolvers for sale on Gunbroker and factor in FFL and shipping fees - you'd be money ahead.

These are too common and in too poor a condition to bring much of anything at a gun show, but at an auction, they'll go higher than what they're worth, because of 'auction fever'.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
The M&P is likely early 1950s as Oyeboten stated. It's got the "fish hook" hammer which was introduced in the late 40s and went away sometime in the 1950s. The ramp front sight is 50s. You can buy shooter grade 4" S&W M&Ps (later Model 10s) all day long usually for $250 in good condition. S&W made millions of them so they are everywhere. Really good revolvers though.

The Police Positive Special is also pretty common. Again you can get shooter grade PPS revolvers for $250 or less. In really good condition $350-$500.

If it were me and I was interested in this lot I probably wouldn't go higher than $450. They are really common and if you look around and are patient you could get both of these revolvers for no more than that and probably less in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.