Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do the defenders hold up to 100 plus rounds per week. I know little about their durability . mainly the alloy frame. as always thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
It will likely last longer than your ability to try and wear it out. Keep the ammunition within standard pressure specs and you should have no issues at all.

Reactions: wolfcoln and ei8ht

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I believe there was a recall on some serial numbers regarding the recoil spring and rod. Colt will send you a new set for those pistols. Call Customer Service to see if it applies to your gun.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,615 Posts
Back in the 1960's famed lawman and gun writer Skeeter Skelton did a Guns & Ammo article on how well the Colt Gold Cup and aluminum Commander stood up to 10,000 rounds each of standard 230 grain hardball .45 ammo.

The Commander did develop a non-critical crack in the frame at some point but the gun was still usable.
Since then, Colt has developed even better aluminum alloys for their aluminum frames.

Keep in mind that micro-guns do wear out recoil springs faster then full size guns so be prepared to replace the spring as needed.
One simple way to judge when to replace a recoil spring is to note how far away, and in what direction the gun ejects cases when it's new.
Then, when it starts tossing cases farther or in a very different direction, it's probably time to replace.
Another method takes into consideration how cheap recoil springs are compared to the gun, and just replace the spring at a certain number of rounds whether it seems to need it or not.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When I had a late 1980's era Officer's Model in .45 ACP, I tossed the recoil springs at 1,000 rounds. Factory or handloaded ammo did not matter, they got replaced.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I have a 2002 in 45 on the top below and a 2010 in 9mm on the bottom. Have changed the grips on both. Carried the 2002 for a few years but I live in a more rural environment so I now carry a LW Colt/Talo Clapp Commander.

One thing I noticed is the mags. On the right below is one of the two I got with the 2002 in 45. The followers were covered with some plastic like (Teflon?) material that did wear a bit after a lot of round and did make a slight mark in the feed ramp on the frame. The mag in the middle I ordered off the Colt Website back when they sold them there and it seems fine as is the Wilson Combat mag on the left. So you might check your feed ramp when you field strip and clean the pistol.

I bought several of the recoil assemblies from Colt back when they sold them and more recently from Brownells which along with Midway now sells Colt parts and the little pistols do eat up the recoil springs faster than larger Colt pistols.

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Another one on my bucket list. I have a SAA coming that I just paid for, but this is one that is definitely on my list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts