Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
In TBOCF, a Colt ad which is the reference for finish says Colt blue only, at least as standard. The Blue Book, however, says nickel finish is scarce. Perhaps someone has one and likely someone knows more.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Also, are all Officers Match Model revolver C&R eligible? I looked at my C&R list and it says that they're C&R eligible if they're manufactured up to 1969. Would anyone be able to say if:
- Officer's Match Model in 38 were discontinued after 1969 and thus, making all of these revolver C&R.
- If some were not C&R, which serial numbers aren't?

Thanks again.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The list does not specifically say "to" or "through" 1969, it says "-1969", as you know. It would seem to imply the entire run since a portion of the range is <50 yrs and probably is considered specifically intended for target rather than assault or defense, but there we go assuming. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I now doubt if the revolver was in its original finish. The seller sent me photos and the colt logo (called "prancing horse"?) on the frame (located behind the cyliner release") is not there. The barrel shows the mark "Officers Model Special" and right below it is ".38 Special Ctg.". It doesn't have the original grips but it has nice finger-grooved grips on it (perhaps Hogue). The nckel finish is quite nice. How much would be a fair market value for such a revolver? Thanks once again.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
The Officers Model Special is a 1949-1952 manufacture and is the so called "fourth issue" of the Officers Models. You would need the serial to pin down the year. The Blue Book does not show nickel as a standard original finish and indeed it sounds like it might not be. However, one can seldom say that something could not be ordered, but the missing rampant colt is usually a big clue. The original stocks were checkered plastic. I would not begin to try to value it. The Blue Book assigns a value of $375 for a 90% original finish gun just for reference, but a refinish pretty much disrupts the BB pricing and it becomes a matter of what someone would pay for any particular gun as a shooter. Perhaps someone more familiar with that model might comment on its desirability and offer a better shot at value as described. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
907 Posts
The OMS had Colt's duo-tone finish. The top of the frame, gripstraps, trigger guard and cylinder flutes were matte, while the rest of the gun was polished. Sometimes in non-factory refinishing, the "flattop" part of the frame gets polished by the buffing wheel, which is a giveaway that the finish is not original. (I had to learn this the hard way /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif)

I've never seen an OMS in nickel, I suppose it could have been ordered that way, blued sights were much better for target shooting.

If refinished, it's value is as a shooter only like A1A points out. Don't pay too much. However, if you like a target revolver that is muzzle heavy, this is your model, these have a super heavy barrel. HTH a little...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Here's a link to the auction. GB OMS Auction . The seller insists that the finish is original and I would probably believe it if the horse logo was there. Fact is that it isn't there. Anyone here heard of an original finish of a Colt revolver without the horse logo?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The gun definitely got sold. I was the "lucky" bidder. I would just normally pay for it and learn my lesson. But before I bid, I asked the seller if the finish was original and he e-mailed me back saying that it was (I still have the e-mail). He now tells me that he has two other OMM revolvers that are both with original finish and both have no rampant horses. I just find it hard to believe that Colt would be so inconsistent with its production that it would sometimes stamp a revolver and sometimes not. I have more S&W revolvers in my humble collection. And the rule that I go by is that if you don't see the stamped S&W logo on the side of the revolver (or if it's very light), you know that the revolver has been refinished. Am I mistaken when I apply the same rule to Colt revolvers? Anyone here have any Colt revos that have the original finish but doesn't have the stamp on it? If anyone here have had a similar experience on GB, I'd sure appreciate some advice and some tips on how GB handles this kind of issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Even if it isn't original, it is still a pretty good looking gun (at least in the pictures). It will probably shoot well also.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
There are a couple of models that Colt didn't bother to stamp but that's not one of them. Notice that he calls it a Match and you claim it is a Special. Different years/issues. The photos aren't clear enough (why?) to tell but dished screw holes and rounded edges on the sideplate interfaces are also other indicators. In the photos the finish just does not look like Colt bright nickel. Maybe he believes what he is saying, but...On some models or during some periods, the colt was stamped back toward the backstrap and could be at least partially covered by the large stocks, but I doubt that is the case. Do you have it in hand or are we waiting for a closer look? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
The photo also doesn't show the verified proof mark at the front of the trigger guard or an inspection stamp at the back of the guard, but that could be the photo.

·
Registered
907 Posts
It's definitely an OMS, due to the dovetail in the frame for the rear sight. From what I can tell of the pics, though, the cylinder flutes are too shiny to be correct, and as you point out, no rampant colt on the sideplate.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Yep, the serial is correct for 1949-50 and the sights appear correct. TBOCF says total production of the 38 OMS was 6,210. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I don't have it in my hands. I asked for a photo of the sideplate to know for sure that it was in its original finish. Here are the photos: Sideplate , Barrel marks. What do you guys think? I know that it may still be a great shooter but I think sellers should represent their products truthfully. And if it's the seller's honest mistake, then there should be no consequence for the buyer who's already disappointed that he's not getting the item that he was promised.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
To me it's clearly a refinish. Notice the buffing (brushed look) marks, the dished screw holes and the rounding of the edges at the frame/sideplate interfaces. Also the VP and inspection marks in front of and at the back of the trigger guard are partially obliterated. Too bad it's not still duo tone. JMO /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hello, Pinoy
I'm posting a picture of my 1950 OMS. You'll be able to see the rampant Colt immediately ahead of the grips.
Additionally, the satin-finish cylinder flutes are shown pretty well.
I have seen nickeled OMM's and OMS's.
All were refinishes, and the dished sideplate screw holes are the real indicator.
Many old-timers will tell you (as they told me) that making a target gun in factory nickel didn't make sense, from a 'sighting glare' aspect.
All that being said, that's a cool-looking gun!
Don

·
Registered
778 Posts
Why would you worry? It is an Officers Match Target that someone refinished to their liking. It has the distinctive Colt target rear sight, that was replaced on later models.

For what you paid for it, which was a good deal in MHO, it's kind of neat. I doubt GB will do anything about the guy lying about its original appearance. You do have three days to return it by GB rules.

I still think you got a good deal, and a nice shooter, and perhaps a learning experience.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, this deal has gone sour for me. So if there's anyone here interested, the seller's price is $355 shipped. I'll talk to the seller and endorse the willing buyer. Thanks again to all who commented. Special mention to A1A who's been very active in sharing his expertise and knowledge. And DHENRY, I'm still waiting for you to post the photo of your Colt OMS. For me, I guess the hunt continues...

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Thanks, but I mostly shared my reference material and information gained from reading the forum a lot. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I hope you made the decision based on what you wanted and expected vs what was apparently being offered. As others said it is still a nice looking gun and probably a good shooter, but that wasn't the question. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts