Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i have a quick question:

What is the difference between these 2 serial numbers?

62530G70
07915B70

To be a little more specific, which is an older one and what does the G and the B stand for?

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind!!! I found out...

The MKIV Series 70 Government Model Colt pistols were manufactured from 1970 to 1983 and have "70G" as a prefix in the serial numbers on the models made from 1970 to 1976. The models made from 1976 to 1980 have "G70" suffixes. Models made from 1979-1981 have "B70" suffixes and models made from 1981 to 1983 have "70B" prefixes. The Series 70 had, in addition to the Government model, a Series 70 Combat Commander, Series 70 Lightweight Commander, and Series 70 Combat Government. The Series 70 featured an accurizer barrel bushing for improved accuracy.

·
Premium Member
9,722 Posts
abw, I have to disagree that there were ever Series 70 Commanders or Combat Commanders. (The error-filled Blue Book makes this error too.) The short barrel guns never had the collett bushing that is the characteristic of the Mark IV/Series 70 guns, and were never marked "Mark IV/Series 70" (or is it Series 70/Mark IV?).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Airbornewings,

Here is another variation in serial number style.

There were some GOVERNMENT MODEL MKIV / Model 01970 that had serial numbers with the SM prefix that was found on Service Model Aces. Many year ago I saw one in a shop. First thought was that it was mixed up parts from somebody who owned both a Government Model and a Service Model Ace.

Dealer had the box with label details matching the pistol.

Caliber: Colt .45 A.C.P.
Barrel Length: 5"
Finish: Blue

GVT. MODEL MKIV / Model 01970 S/N SM36xxx

Probably made in 1981, based on Larry Hackers list of serial numbers.

No idea how many Government Models were stamped with the SM prefix. I have never seen another one!

Has anybody in the group seen or heard about any of these??

Bekeart

1 - 5 of 5 Posts