Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding was that 926 of these revolvers were made under military contract and were numbered from 001 through 926, with USMC markings and s/n on the butt along with a lanyard ring. I thought that I had read somewhere that about 5000 copies were also made for the commercial market with serial numbers starting at around 10001 with no lanyard ring (hole in butt plugged).

Looking at Wilson's little blue book, 926 are listed starting at 10001 (1905) and ending with 10926 (1909). My copy of Bob Best's book is not accessible at the moment (along with the rest of my library), so I'm hoping that Bob or someone else here can help clear up the mystery.

The reason I ask is that I now have one military copy and one civilian. The first is USMC marked and is s/n 7xx and the civilian one (a real screamer) is s/n 102xx.

Thanks in advance, guys.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Zulu6,

I didn't check out the individual variations (OMTs and M-1905s) of the New Army and Navy models while I was doing research in the Colt shipping records for my book, but I have got a number of descriptions of both variations in my database and can make a few comments on this based on observed data, and military shipments found in the NA records. Here is my take on your questions.

There were 812 Marine Corps Model 1905 revolvers delivered to the USMC between 1905 and 1909. The last one of 12 guns was delivered in April 1909 if memory serves me correctly.All guns are numbered on the butt with 3 digit serial numbers between 1 and 812. Due to the length of time over which they were delivered, you will find two different frame variations, the early round curved top strap and the later sharp "chisled like" top strap. My guess is that the frame change came about serial number 200 from the descriptions I have collected.

The 926 guns were civilian models that Colt made for the commercial market. These all were serial numbered in the 10001 to 10926 range. And I would guess that the first 200 guns in this range also are early frame guns but I don't have enough early serial numbers to confirm this.

In my years of collecting, I have not seen a real USMC contract gun with a serial number above 812 and I have not seen a real civilian model with a serial number above 10926. I have also not seen a real M-1905 that deviated from the pattern above... (And for those who may be thinking ahead, "Yes there are a couple FAKES floating around out there"! )

Hope that helps and again this is just my opinion based on what I have observed and found in historical archive records...

Have Fun!
Bob

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
Great looking pair of 1905's Bob !

I have your book , but I'm sure you still collect info as it arrises .

Not asking for serials , but how many of each have you catalogged ?

Were the military accepted guns shipped to one location or unit ? Just curious about these seldom seen rarities . Wish I had one /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zulu6 ... If you're able to post picss , we'd love to see your 1905's also /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob ~ thanks for the information and for clearing up my misconception of numbers. Now I feel real good about my latest addition (the commercial market gun). No. 7xx is something of a dog, as you might expect, with mis-numbered cylinder and crane (even those two pieces do not match). But frame and barrel are, I am quite sure, the real deal.

I'll post pictures when I take 'em.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Mitch,

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread before now... I have been really busy with house remodeling and additions/contractor scheduling... I think I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this all done before the trip last week to the Reno gunshow and prior to Thanksgiving holiday... The wife and I decided to stay at our home in Nevada an extra day just to rest up!

In answer to your question, I have about 40 serials of the various Model 1905 revolvers. About 2/3 of them are the USMC Contract verisions ... This comprises just a small portion of my database that is approaching 2000 descriptions and serial numbers of the Model 1889 thru New Army and Navy Models... (1889 to 1908 period)...

Hope you have a Great Thanksgiving! :) Bob Best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts