Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A co-worker just bought a late model Colt Agent with the shroud. He'd like to replace the grips but neither of us is sure of the frame size. Are late model Agent grips the same size as the Detective Specials?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dfariswheel,

Thanks. I was hoping you'd see this post. Now my buddy knows where to start looking,

John

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
These are built on the Colt "D" frame, but be careful in your search. Although the newer versions are the same, there were some variations in grip sizes in the older models that won't fit your gun, even though the model name is the same.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Also I have found the grips can "end" at the bottom of the frame or 'wrap around' and have seen some with 'extensions' making them even longer. Some have medallions on them and others do NOT. Plus both smooth and checkered.
Were these by chance from 'Sile'???

------------------
Dan

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I dug in my grips box and found two sets of "butchered" rubber grips from my old Cobra. Both sets fit my co-worker's, so I gave them to him. He wanted to replace the original wood grips as he plans to carry it in an ankle holster as his BUG.

dant,

His wood grips are the original that came with the gun. They have the Colt medallion but the wood is not very pretty. It was made in `82 or `83 and it's the wood that Colt was using then,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 07-01-2005).]

·
Registered
806 Posts
What do you mean by "not very pretty"? do they just need to be wiped down with some "wood" stuff, like "Orange glo' or any of the furniture restorers. Even a quick wipe down with some 'Tru Oil' and they will look much better.
I say clean 'em & oil 'em. If they are 'too ' light. clean 'em off with acetone, it will evaporate and take the finish off, darken 'em up with some stain and just hand rub a coat or two of 'Tru OIl'. They will look NICE!

------------------
Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts