Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question re Anaconda\'s \"tightness\"

I'm look at buying a used Anaconda, but all three of the ones I've examined seemed as loose as S&W's as far as rotational freeplay in the cylinder. While they don't rotate too much side to side, my other colt (an OMM) doesn't rotate at all when the trigger is held rearward. Is the rotation something inherent in the Mark V action versus the Python-type action? Or have these three guns just been shot a lot? Thanks

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Re: question re Anaconda\'s \"tightness\"

The Anaconda is a totally different action than the older Colt's like the OMM.

In 1969 Colt realized they could no longer compete with the old model Colt's. Even their "Budget" gun, the Official Police required extensive hand fitting.
So, in 1969 all the older guns except the Python were discontinued and replace with the first of a series of new type actions.

The first was the "J" frame series led off by the Trooper Mark III, and this was followed over the years by the "V" Trooper Mark V, the "AA" King Cobra, and finally, the "MM" Anaconda.

The older Colt's are famous for locking up bank vault-tight when the trigger is pulled. In order to achieve this, the action design required all that hand fitting.

The newer guns use a system that allows near-drop in parts, that require little fitting, and thus, are cheaper to produce. One feature of these guns is they use a system used by all other revolver makers: At the instant of firing, the cylinder is loose enough that it can align itself with the bore. In the older Colt's, the cylinder was brought into perfect alignment with the bore, then locked tight.
Again, this required hand fitting, and if it got out of order, accuracy suffered.

So, all post-1969 designed Colt's will have "loose" cylinders. This is normal, and has no effect on accuracy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: question re Anaconda\'s \"tightness\"

dfariswheel, Good post. lots of interesting facts on revolver mfg has suffered with time.

kpmtns, I also been looking at used anacondas and am impressed with the large number available. It is a little disconcerning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts