Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an estate of guns and this 1917 was among the guns. I'm not real familiar with these guns but there is a number on the crane that matches penciled number inside the grips. The serial number is different from those numbers. Assembly numbers? Rearsenal? I wonder about rearsenal because of striations on the frame. They are on both sides of the panel. I saw photos of a 1917 on GB with exactly the same striations. Just curios. Thanks.
Here is a pic of the panel. IMG_0820 (1280x1067).jpg IMG_0819 (1280x665).jpg

·
Registered
322 Posts
Others on here can help with the data, but you're going to love it at the range. I wish Auto Rim was still available. I love shooting mine.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The number on the frame, crane and stocks are the Colt Factory serial number. These revolvers were serialized with all the other New Service revolvers. The 1917 run from 150000 to a little over 301000. The number on the butt is the Army serial number and run from 1 to approximately 154802. These revolvers were being produced during war time to make up for the shortage of 1911 pistols. So they were not as highly polished as the commercial revolvers were and were given what is called a brushed blue finish. The striations are tool marks that were not polished out. Yours looks like it may have been refinished because the colt pony looks weak, but it could be just the pictures.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
That 1917 looks like it has its original finish so it never went through an arsenal rebuild and refinishing. That gives it more value over an arsenal rebuild example.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Others on here can help with the data, but you're going to love it at the range. I wish Auto Rim was still available. I love shooting mine.
Buffalo Bore makes .45 Auto Rim. Midwayusa.com is a good source for it. Running about $35 for a box of 20.

Brian

·
Registered
436 Posts
About 5 years ago a friend of mine got a really nice, all original, 1917 at a local gun auction for a very low price because it was described as having "cracks in the frame". I guess the auction house was too used to seeing shiny Colts. Of course he knew what he was looking at and was very happy!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
It looks re-blued to me. It's missing the transverse sanding marks at the front sight that originals have. They show in martin08's pics.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The serial numbers are: crane-279816 and butt- 129580. The pics were with my cell phone on my desk. The end of the barrel does have striations. They don't show well in the photos. Thanks to everyone for the education.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They are fun guns and I hope that you enjoy yours. I believe Star-Line is making 45 AR, but I haven't looked in ages. The worn and patina finish on mine belies it's virtually perfect bore and action. Shoots as accurately as any new revolver.

Colt 1917-800-90%.jpg

·
Registered
325 Posts
What is this "auto rim" referred to here? I just bought one of these 1917's and will be using .45 acp when the ranges around here reopen.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Basically a rimmed .45 ACP round - look up .45 Auto Rim - it works without a half-moon clip (or full-moon clip, for that matter).

One of the odd 'benefits' of these, is that they'll digest all of that mis-shapen .45 ACP stuff you've got that won't feed through an auto - leaving good brass ready to be reloaded.

As an aside - I was doing just that thing with one of my Model 1917 S&Ws, when I got bored, and just shot cylinder after cylinder of that junk as fast as I could, at the 25yd line - when I saw I had a group about the size of a playing card without even trying, I fell in love with that piece.

Later, I found that 'all' of those old S&Ws would deliver like that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts