Colt Forum banner

Question re. Gold Cup National Match?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  PZ93C 
#1 ·
As noted by my handle, I am a revolver type guy, but I just acquired a 1911 Gold Cup National Match Series 80 Mark IV.
The hammer is the usual standard hammer with polished, white metal sides, instead of the the combat style hammer I see on some of the later models. Were some of the early Series 80 equiped with this style hammer? Serial no. FN225XX. I have since found out from Colt it was made in 1987.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
To clarify what I meant by "usual standard hammer", I meant the hammer is the solid one piece hammer similar to the one found on the 1991, except the sides are white metal polished and is not the combat-style or commander hammer you see on most later Gold Cups.

#4 ·
db68,

I think most GCs and NMs have the style of hammer you describe. I think only in the last couple of years when Colt introduced the "enhanced" line of O models did they start using the Commander style hammer. Check out my Gold Cup Collection thread and you'll see that all but the GC Trophy and the Special Combat Government have the standard style hammer (the DOBs for these span a couple decades so I think they're pretty representative).

#5 ·
Thanks for the pix Blokey. It looks exactly like your #4 with the wrap around rubber stocks, but has the hammer of your #2.

I had a 1991, shot like a dream, and a couple of Mustangs a couple years back and sold them to gravitate toward revolvers, mostly Diamondbacks. Not sure why I did that, but happy to have gotten this GCNM, everyone needs at least one semi-auto, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.