Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend has a 6" Trooper, serial # 75XXX.
It has no barrel lug and looks like a .357
but the barrel clearly says: TROOPER .357.

Is this a transition from the .357 to the Trooper? What is an approximate value?

Thanks,

John

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,889 Posts
The Trooper was the "budget" version of the 357.

Both were made during the same time frame.
The 357 was the top-of-the-line holster gun, and the Trooper was to be the cheaper version for police departments and sportsmen.

When the Python was brought out, this left the 357 as "odd man out".
People wanting the best bought the Python, and people wanting inexpensive bought the Trooper.

So, in 1961 the 357 was dropped from the line, and the Trooper was chambered in .357 Magnum.

In 1969 Colt discontinued the Trooper and brought out an entirely different gun named the Trooper Mark III.

This is confusing to many people, who often describe the Mark III version simply as a "Trooper".

So we're talking about THREE guns: The 357, the original Trooper, and the later Trooper Mark III.

The 357 and Trooper are essentially the same gun with the 357 being a better finished version.

The Trooper Mark III is totally unlike the 357 or Trooper, having a completely different action, a shrouded barrel, and numerous other differences.

The original Trooper is often described as a "Poor man's Python" since the Python is basically the Trooper with a better fitted action, a better blue job, and the heavy, lugged barrel.

Price depends entirely on actual condition, and where it is, Colt's bringing higher or lower prices depending on where they are.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dfariswheel,

Thanks for the fast and informative reply. I was hoping that you'd see the post and supply your usual type of factual response.

I'll pass the word on and he can check the various auctions for an idea of pricing,

John

·
Registered
153 Posts
These early model Troopers seem to be popping up all over. I've seen at least 2 others at last weeks gun show. Until last week I'd never heard of this gun.

·
Registered
153 Posts
By the way, I shot that early Trooper this weekend. For a gun that I paid $215 for it is one excellent shooter.

I did have one problem, several misfires. I'm guessing a spring is worn? Is there an adjustment for tension?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts