Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a WWI vintage 1918 Colt 1911 for sale. Serial number 233xxx. It's in fine - very good shape. Everything appears correct except for the grip panels and it's missing the magazine. Both of these I should be able to replace. It has GHS monogram, and from Poyer's and Clawson's books, the GHS final inspection mark occurred up to around serial number 230,000. Does anyone have a GHS marked 1911 in this range of 233xxx? I'm guessing there must have been some overlap by a few thousand plus or minus. But I'm just checking to make sure!

Thanks!

· Registered
84 Posts
Gilbert H Stewart was an inspector from 1918-1919. And again in 1938-1940. There is no definitive # that his stamp was stopped.

· Registered
701 Posts
Gilbert H Stewart was an inspector from 1918-1919. And again in 1938-1940. There is no definitive # that his stamp was stopped.
Major Gilbert H. Stewart was a Chief Ordnance Inspector of M1911 production from Sept. 1914 thru Jan. 1918. The observed serial number range attributed to these dates are 101620 to 229630 +/-. He was not responsible for any inspection of any WWII M1911A1 production.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks oldcanuck, I had a pretty good feeling about this Colt Army 1911. If I end up buying it, I'll be asking you to look out for a pair of double-diamond "28" checker grips and a period correct magazine for it!

· Registered
701 Posts
Thanks oldcanuck, I had a pretty good feeling about this Colt Army 1911. If I end up buying it, I'll be asking you to look out for a pair of double-diamond "28" checker grips and a period correct magazine for it!
I have a correct two-tone magazine, but no grips right now. BTW the correct grips are double diamond 15 +/-1 row walnut grips. Full checkered 28 row grips are Transition or pre-WWII grips.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW the correct grips are double diamond 15 +/-1 row walnut grips. Full checkered 28 row grips are Transition or pre-WWII grips.
I stand corrected. Thank you!

· Registered
184 Posts
It's been my experiance that finding the correct barrel for that gun is a most difficult task. If your gun has the correct barrel, you are way ahead of the game. I have been looking for one for some time now. Also if the serial number (233xxx) is 233600 or below, it's a USN gun, which is a bonus for some people. My neighbor has 3915xx, Black Army) with the heart shape cut outs under the grip panels, but it has a "between the wars" Springfield Armory. barrel.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's been my experiance that finding the correct barrel for that gun is a most difficult task. If your gun has the correct barrel, you are way ahead of the game. I have been looking for one for some time now. Also if the serial number (233xxx) is 233600 or below, it's a USN gun, which is a bonus for some people. My neighbor has 3915xx, Black Army) with the heart shape cut outs under the grip panels, but it has a "between the wars" Springfield Armory. barrel.
The 1911 I'm looking at has the vertical P H on the barrel hood, so it is correct.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seller made a mistake on the SN: It's 223xxx. I checked and verified the last few numbers with the seller and it doesn't fall into the USN number range. Hopefully inspecting it end of this week so I can make a decision. Wish me luck!

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The seller finally got back to me with clear pictures and it lookes like the UNITED STATES PROPERTY marking on the left side of the frame had been obliterated. Something he initially forgot to mention. Too bad, I thought I had found a good US Army WWI 1911 that I had a chance at making all "correct." At least I saved myself an hours drive.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I know. What a let down. The original pictures from the seller were mostly in low lighting. Difficult to see some of the markings, so I asked for more detailed info and pics with good lighting. Eventually, he disclosed this missing detail. Interesting to note, he states had a 1913 dated 1911, which was in nicer condition. He sold the only original two tone 1911 magazine along with it, explaining why he didn't have the mag for this one. Oh well, life goes on!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.