Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across an interesting S&W 44/40 Frontier double action that claims"WITH THE RARE DELUXE FACTORY CARVED PEARL SCREAMING EAGLE GRIPS". In what appears to be a page from an antique gun dealer catalog it states that "this same identical Eagle pattern was also used by Colt and can be found on a few single action revolvers. It evidently was a deluxe pattern used in the 1880's".

Here is my question, is the statement true that Colt offered these same grips as a factory option? Or is it more likely that they were popular aftermarket offers by some dealer's. I can find no evidence that S&W offered them from the factory and I seriously doubt that neither did Colt. I suspect some enterprising person was selling them thru dealers fitted for various model guns. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
tdennis

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Colt definitely offered carved grips. And the patterns are well known. The longhorn steer head with Ruby eyes is one I'm familiar with.

But I'm not aware of any carved stocks offered by S&W and their premium stocks, MOP and Ivory, go all the way back to 1857 with the beginning of the company. You need to research some of the books, both S&W and Colt.

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
No.

If anything, Patton's Eagle is flying.

There were a number of suppliers of grips to the trade - 'Wolff and Klar' being one that seemed to do a lot of pearl - so offering a special order grip set was an easy thing to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts