Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie questions here... I was looking for a Peacemaker-esque style revolver. I wanted something new, so i was looking at other brands (Uberti mainly)...While showing my friend the guns on the site, he said "Well do they make one that flips out, that would surely be more practical"...

The question I have is, Do they (meaning anyone) make revolvers like the peacemaker (or rough style) with a flip out chamber? As in something that i can eject/load 6 bullets in the same time... ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, first of all there is not a lot of practicality in buying a single-action "peacemaker" revolver. The modern double-action revolver is quicker to shoot, quicker to eject and reload, and generally has better sights. However, shooters who buy single-action shootin' irons do so for other reasons. The heritage, the history, the feel of the plowshare grip in the hand. There is no finer handgun to fire with one hand than a single-action. The gun just rolls up in the hand and the thumb, as if by magic, is exactly where it needs to be to cock the gun for the follow-up shot. You don't have to feel under-gunned, either. The Ubertis (or other Colt clones) can be had in .44-40, .45 Colt, .357 magnum, etc. If that's not enough for you then you can get a Ruger in .44 Mag or .480 caliber, or a .454 Casull if you feel that froggy. Single-actions are accurate, fun to shoot, slow to eject and reload, and offer maximum simplicity and durability. They're a great gun to take to the range; I just don't imagine that many individuals would choose it as a primary self-defense gun. They're as good a gun as any to start out with.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,696 Posts
There were revolvers that looked like Single Actions, but were actually swing-out cylinder double actions.

These were the old High Standard "Double Nine" series .22LR revolvers.
High Standard made a variety of models, all basically the same gun just with difference cosmetics.

The only others that I know of were "one-off" custom guns made for the old Hollywood Cowboy stars.

These were Colt double actions, usually Official Police models that were fitted with phony ejector rod housings and fancy grips to LOOK like a single action.

This allowed the star to do fast shooting by just pulling the trigger.

Today, if you want a gun that looks like a single action, you'll have to buy a single action.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so that's a no?

Yeah I definetly understand your point and was aware of all of it... I just wondered if they had a more modern translation (perhaps double action)but in a Peacemaker frame...not really practical, just more practical.

But i guess not...thanks for the reply

edit: Sorry Faris, didn't see your post til after i replied, thanks for the info...

[This message has been edited by Stukov (edited 12-17-2004).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts