Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited an old house that is around 150 years old. I decided to start remodeling it and took the ceilings down. In a corner of a crawl space i found an old metal box with a wrapped up old colt percussion revolver in it. I will try to post pictures. Ive been able to determine that it is a pocket model with the 6 inch oct barrel. Figured about 60 to 70 percent condition. Some rust on the barrell and cylinder on the side it was laying on. Serial numbers all match at #88 Action is very tight and functions well, scene on the cylinder is in tact . I took it to a gun show over the weekend and was offered 2500.00 for it. Question is this a fair price or should i ask more? I've not decided whether i even want to sell it yet just dont wanna take it in the shorts if i do.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Although scarce, the M1865 Pocket Navy is not a particularly rare Colt. So, its value largely depends upon its condition. So, I will wait until I see detailed photographs before I comment on its value.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ill try to post a pic or two tomorrow. Also any advise about halting the rust would be wonderful. Father inlaw advised cleaning it with kerosene and an old leather glove.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Careful on cleaning it. The rust itself is abrasive, and if you are using a glove or whatever, the rust that comes off on that will become an abrasive and remove the delicate old finish. For the time being just give it a good coating of gun oil. Looking forward to photos.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Why not use 3-in-1 oil? It works just as good as any of the fancy-schmancy expensive oils. I would get a hunk of washed out old cotton bed sheet or pillow case, take off the grips, borrow on of your wife's cookie sheets or shallow baking pan, put a wad of rags in the bottom, with the gun on top and pour the oil over the gun. you could even put a folded rag over the gun before pouring the oil on top of it. Let it set a few hours. Then, with a fresh piece of the rag, start gently wiping the gun off, paying attention to the rusted area. You will want to turn the rag over continuously so as not to scrub rust particles into the gun and ruining its patina.
Finely, using another clean soft rag, wipe as much oil from the gun, paying attenting to the bore and the cylinder chambers. Leave a very thin film of oil all over the gun and then replace the grips. You might want to treat the grips with a little furniture polish while they are off of the gun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A few months ago, I read a mystery novel in which someone tearing down an old house finds a box hidden under floorboards. Inside are Colonial era bonds.

That was just a novel, but I know of the following case: a young woman vanished. Though one man was a suspect, there was nothing to implicate him. Years later, the new owner of his house was putting down new carpet and noticed a lose board. Underneath was undeveloped film. On the film were images of the missing woman, being abused by the man suspected all along. He went to jail.

Friend of mine hid valuables in a box, above a ceiling tile, in a closet. While he was away, a relative had a workman come do work on the house. The workman was crooked, and used his time in the home to search every nook and cranny. Yup, he found the box. My friend found the box as he had left it, minus hundreds of dollars. Couldn't prove anything.

Another person I know had a floor redone. Underneath was a bottle some workman had left there, many decades before. It was corked, and lying on its side. The liquid contents prevented the cork from drying and deteriorating, so it was still filled with - something-. Don't think anybody wanted to drink it.

Maybe I should establish a demolition company. No telling what I might find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a fellow thats works where i do that bought an old house from his uncle. The old place didnt have basement so he took the floor out of one room and dug a basement under it. In the process of digging he found canning jars that had had rolled up hundred dollar bills inside. Enough total to pay the mortgage on the old house and land some 34 thousand dollars worth with enough change to share some with his brother. His uncle evidently had been on social security for quite a few years and had squirreled this money away by burying it under his house.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes! I once heard that during the depression, some folks distrusted banks so they would bury money in the basement. Back when cellars and basements had dirt floors. So, anyone with an old house should check, before pouring a concrete floor!

I know of a murder case in which someone buried a victim in a basement that had a dirt floor. I hope everyone finds jars of money, rather than very old corpses. :)

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Unless it is an old corpse WITH a Texas Paterson in his hand.
In that case, I'd keep the Paterson, shovel the dirt back on the unfortunate corpse, and hope nobody was lookin'.

Speaking of attic finds, I was talking with an Antique dealer a while back and we were talking about WWII or some such and he tells me a contractor buddy of his was doing some work in an attic for a client. He notices an old box and being a little snoopy he looks in and it's a WWII SS officers uniform in very good condition.

He asks the homeowner about it and homeowner tells him he had forgot about it and his father found it in a concentration camp office closet when the camp was liberated. Anyway the homeowner tells the contractor he can have it if he wants, if not he'll probably throw it away.

To make a long story short, the contractor ended up selling it to a Jewish WWII collector on Long Island. The exact amount escapes me, but it was in the 5 figures.

The moral of the story is this: When in a stranger's home, look through their closets, attics and crawlspaces. You might find something valuable and if you're lucky they will not only not take offense at your behavior or work you over with a baseball bat, but will give you the said valuables! :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.