Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently come full circle and become interested in late model Colt revolvers. They are works of art. I am very new to these but not new to collecting. I was looking for a NOS Blued Cobra with the ramped sight and extractor shroud. I came across this Cobra in very good, possibly unfired condition on an online auction. I tossed in a fairly low bid ( I think) and to my surprise won.
I have several questions. Is this considered a second or third issue? Are these grips original to this Cobra?
The first four serial numbers​ of this pistol is AC00xx. What is the year of manufacture?
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
That's a post-'72 Cobra with the barrel shroud. The rubber stocks are from a strike period Agent or Commando Special...1986 in particular as they're 150th Anniversary stocks and Colt discontinued the Cobra in 1981.

Are you sure of the serial number? I don't see any numbers starting with "AC" in the information I have. It's possible it's a "clean up" piece made up of leftover parts after regular production was ended. The closest serial number prefixes I see close to that are Agent models with "AA" or "AB" prefixes scattered throughout the 1980s through 1990. It's possible it was intended to be an Agent and a leftover Cobra barrel installed...basically a cleanup gun. Only an archives letter will tell for sure. Those rubber stocks could be original if it was made in 1986.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's a post-'72 Cobra with the barrel shroud. The rubber stocks are from a strike period Agent or Commando Special...1986 in particular as they're 150th Anniversary stocks and Colt discontinued the Cobra in 1981.

Are you sure of the serial number? I don't see any numbers starting with "AC" in the information I have. It's possible it's a "clean up" piece made up of leftover parts after regular production was ended. The closest serial number prefixes I see close to that are Agent models with "AA" or "AB" prefixes scattered throughout the 1980s through 1990. It's possible it was intended to be an Agent and a leftover Cobra barrel installed...basically a cleanup gun. Only an archives letter will tell for sure. Those rubber stocks could be original if it was made in 1986.
This is a picture of the serial number. I could not find anything on it in my attempts. I was not sure if those were Colt grips or some sort of aftermarket. It's scary but those grips are growing on me.

I grabbed these grips for it. They are in NOS condition and I like the small size.

It occurred to me that this was possibly a clean up pistol and the grips might have come with it. I was not sure when production of the Cobra ended. I love the pistol though. Beautiful bluing and light.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
It's difficult to make out the serial number in the photo but it looks like it wasn't evenly stamped. The serial number should also be facing the frame on the inside of the crane. Does it match?

The nice stocks you have are from an Agent. They fit the same but don't overlap the bottom of the frame. They are made for better concealment.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's difficult to make out the serial number in the photo but it looks like it wasn't evenly stamped. The serial number should also be facing the frame on the inside of the crane. Does it match?

The nice stocks you have are from an Agent. They fit the same but don't overlap the bottom of the frame. They are made for better concealment.
Just checked, there is a serial number on the inside of the crane, much clearer, same number, definitely AC00xx.
I do have a NIB Colt Agent and it does have those exact grips. The pistol that started me on Colt revolvers. Pardon my learning curve but, the Cobra was generally fitted with the same large grips as the Detective Special? I just was not sure if they may have come with a variety of grips. To me a set of small grips are what this light, compact gun was made for. I do understand some may prefer the larger grips though.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
The Cobra was generally equipped with whatever stocks the Detective Special was equipped with during the same time period. Early Cobras would have had the same Coltwood plastic stocks as the DS...once they went to walnut they would have had the same. After the change to the shrouded ejector rod in '72 they were both equipped with the newer, fuller wraparound stocks as shown above...at least through the end of Cobra production in '81. Of course something different could have been issued on special order.

On the Cobra and Detective Special I used to carry off-duty when I was in law enforcement I equipped both with Colt/Pachmayr Compacs...which they both still wear. They fit my hand well and help absorb recoil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts