Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Colt Forum, I have some questions about the Colt 1849 pocket revolver, the one with the loading lever attached.

First question can the Colt 1849 pocket revolver be converted from cap & ball to fire cartridge ammunition?

Second what caliber of cartridge ammunition would the Colt 1849 pocket revolver use?

Third can the loading lever be left on the Colt 1849 pocket revolver when it is converted from cap & ball to cartridge ammunition.

The reason i am asking all of these specific questions is because i'm considering purchasing a reproduction of this specific colt revolver and a conversion cylinder for it and having a gunsmith convert the revolver from cap & ball to cartridge ammunition.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It would be a .32, but no one makes conversion parts. Don't think you should attempt it either, as a Colt 1849 in good enough condition to fire is too valuable to convert. They are a lot of trouble to load and fire as is, but leave it alone and fire it as percussion if you must fire it at all.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
On pages 186-187 of "Colt Blackpowder Reproductions and Replicas", there is a 31 caliber Pocket Colt with a conversion done by Dave Anderson. So yes, it can/has been done. Unfortunately, there is no contact information for this Dave Anderson.

John Gross

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What good purpose would be served by doing that? One could probably buy a very good antique .32 S&W or Colt revolver for less than the cost of conversion.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
I converted a repro Colt '51 Navy to shoot .22RF by sleeving the cylinder and barrel, making a conversion ring simulating original Colt conversions, etc. So the answer is yes conversion is possible but you could buy several modern .22RFs for what the gunsmithing would cost. If the cost means nothing to you and you can find someone to do the job it could be an interesting experience and have a great one-of-a-kind toy. Spending the same money taking your significant other a weekend at Vegas, you would have only memories instead of the nice gun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts