Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying an older Python 1955-1961 and have a few questions. 1) Other than the obvious, condition, what else should I look for to make sure it is a legitimate Python? What finishes were available and when did they start with the different finishes i.e. Blue, Nickel, other? 3) Sights, adjustable , fixed, one pin, two pin front? 4) Grips? 5) Original box, provenance? Fair market value ( for buyer and seller)? Anything else you can think of? The reason I am considering up to 1961 is because that is my birth year. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,826 Posts
Pythons only came with adjustable sights. Before the early 1990s (not sure what year) all Pythons had a 2-pin front sight. All early Pythons had a barrel with a hollow underlug (again...don't know what year it was changed to solid but it was sometime in the earlier 1960s). Anything but a 2 1/2" Python would come from the factory with target stocks (outside of custom guns). All early Pythons wore 6" barrels but again...not sure of the exact year 4" and 2 1/2" were first offered. The same goes for finishes...nickel was offered until the early '60s as well. Prior to that Royal Blue was how they came. A true factory nickel Python would have nickel plated front and rear sights for the time period as well as nickel screw and escutcheon in the stocks.

Provenance? The best would be box, any papers the factory included, sales receipt and a Colt Archives letter but that would rare to find a gun with all. Boxes can be and are faked. Even archives letters have been faked. You can always take photos of any gun you're interested in and allow some of the Python experts here give an assessment.

Reactions: K.Dawg and Colt-SL

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pythons only came with adjustable sights. Before the early 1990s (not sure what year) all Pythons had a 2-pin front sight. All early Pythons had a barrel with a hollow underlug (again...don't know what year it was changed to solid but it was sometime in the earlier 1960s). Anything but a 2 1/2" Python would come from the factory with target stocks (outside of custom guns). All early Pythons wore 6" barrels but again...not sure of the exact year 4" and 2 1/2" were first offered. The same goes for finishes...nickel was offered until the early '60s as well. Prior to that Royal Blue was how they came. A true factory nickel Python would have nickel plated front and rear sights for the time period as well as nickel screw and escutcheon in the stocks.

Provenance? The best would be box, any papers the factory included, sales receipt and a Colt Archives letter but that would rare to find a gun with all. Boxes can be and are faked. Even archives letters have been faked. You can always take photos of any gun you're interested in and allow some of the Python experts here give an assessment.
Thanks for the info. I sent you a PM. Scott

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,616 Posts
The only "non legit" "Python" would be one of the original Trooper or possibly 357 Models that was converted to accept a Python barrel by welding up the top-front of the top strap.

When done well these can be nearly impossible to detect.
Even some serial number ranges were shared between the three models.
However, it's not too likely that you'd get a conversion since while a number were made, there were not THAT many, and often the workmanship was obviously not Python quality.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Don't mix up 1955-61. Apples and oranges.

If you desire 1961, 4" or 6", Colt Royal Blue or Bright nickel, second type stocks.

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
1960 was when the “police” python (4”) was introduced. This included the second type of stocks that allowed clearance for speed loaders. Your going to save some money buying a 1960 or 61. I don’t think any factory nickel pythons were available in those years. Decide which barrel length you like. My first was a 6” and in my opinion, it’s the best if you only plan on one python. And those years 6” pythons were hollow lug which are not as muzzle heavy as the solid lug. 4” pythons of that era appear to show much holster use. Of which was intended. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
1960 was when the “police” python (4”) was introduced. This included the second type of stocks that allowed clearance for speed loaders. Your going to save some money buying a 1960 or 61. I don’t think any factory nickel pythons were available in those years. .

We have seen here, a bright nickel 6" Python letter at least as far back as April, 1960.
Date of Shipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts