Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few days ago I purchased a 3rd Generation SAA which was build in 1982. The gun has a 5,5" barrel and is in very good, near new overall condition. Obviously it was shot very little and not messed around with. When I took it apart today I had the feeling that I'm the first one who touches the screws. All of them are perfect and even all of the washers are in place. So everything is fine and I'm really happy with the gun, especially since I got it as a bargain for 500,- Euros from a German dealer. But there are two questions where I would like to get an answer.

The gun has the standard barrel address

Also the roll stamp on the left side of the barrel is standard

It has the three line patent dates type II that Colt used from 1877 to 1890 for the 1st Generation SAA's

the medallion shows only the upper part of the rampant Colt and the number 150 below the Colt lettering

I own two other 3rd Generation SAA's, one standard gun from 1979 and on from 1987 which is completelly blue with blackpowder frame, bullseye ejector head and factory stag grips

the standard SAA from 1979 has the two line patent dates with the rampant colt w/o circle

the one with the blackpowder frame also has the three line patent dates w/o the rampant colt.

I also own a 1st Generation SAA with ivory grips that have the usual medallions.

Does someone have an idea, why two of my 3rd Generation SAA's have the three line patent dates and what is the reason for the 150 in the medallion of my new gun? I have checked the whole gun and didn't find any other unusual markings.

·
Premium Member
5,823 Posts
Your full blue gun has a black powder style frame, and the three line patent stamp is correct. The 5.5" gun, which has a smokeless style frame, should have had the two-line address. It appears that someone at the factory wasn't paying attention when they stamped it. Plus they left off the rampant colt stamp. Again, that's correct for a black powder frame, but not a smokeless.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Hopalong, so you think the three line patent stamp on my 5,5" gun is a factory mistake?

·
Premium Member
20,545 Posts
I suspect your gun with the 150th anniversary medallions was originally destined to be a black powder configuration and along the assembly line someone decided to add the cylinder pin cross latch. That was either due to Colt receiving a large order for the more modern frame guns or someone came to work on a Monday morning with a hangover and converted it by mistake. It would be interesting to see what Colt Archives have in their records for your gun.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@saintclair, good idea, since it was a real bargain I will invest the money for the letter and keep you updated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts