Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm being offered an Officers Model in 32 caliber with heavy barrel, and target sights. It comes with a black box that has on the end the words "TARGET HEAVY BARREL PARTRIDGE SIGHT" AND "6 COLT'S OFFICER'S MODEL REVOLVER .32 WOOD BLUE" The serial number is 656443. It has the flat top with dull finish on the top. The serial number is written on the bottom of the box in pencil twice. It has an old target stamped "SHOT FROM ARM REST" with the gun's name, serial number stamped with the name of KIELY.There is cosmolene-like grease under the hammer. The grips are wood. Finish would rate about 99%.

The seller want $1200. What year was the pistol made? It is worth the asking price?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The revolver would of been made in 1941. Many of the 32 Officers Models that I have seen being listed on the Auction sites state that only 850 of the 32 Officers Models were made. The cheapest that I have seen a 32 Officers Model listed at was $1095 not in the box so the one you have been offered for $1200 sound like a good deal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Few of these .32's were made (the 850 figure is what I've generally heard), but an unusual number of them turn up NIB with target. The story I've heard is that a large metropolitan police department bought a bunch and never issued them; years later they were sold to a dealer who sold them to the public. I have one just as you describe, bought it 10 or 12 years ago when they went for about 750. I have never seen or heard of one that wasn't a HB. The price of 1200 bucks isn't out of line now. Once in awhile I see a shooter advertised for somewhat less. Oddly enough, although there were fewer .32 OMT's made than (post-war) S&W K32's (production about 3300),the Colt has never been as expensive (NIB K32's are now up to about two grand).

Bill A

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Bill A nailed the fact that a dealer bought up a "bunch" of .32 Officers Models. This was in the mid to late 80's,and it was J&G Sales in Arizona, Some of these were "converted" by having their chambers lengthened slightly to handle the "then fairly new, .32 H&R Magnum.

While certainly many more post war K-32's were made,the pre war .32 Target,which is probably a better comparison to the pre war Officers' .32,saw only "96" made between 1936-41! According to the SCSW, a NIB example,will fetch 10K!

I have always wanted a .32 Officers Model to see how it would shoot as a "dual cylindered" revolver with a 32/30 cylinder from an Army Special or Official Police. I have a pre war S&W M&P Target in 32/20,a transitional 1907 Colt D.A.,and a late Official Police in 32/20 also.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi
Bob from land down under
The .32cal officers target match revolver should date back to early 40s.What I have been told about this gun is that it is the most accurate Colt made.A hole lot of these came to Australia years ago and I have ben after one for some time with no luck ( rare as rocking horse s...)I beleive
they also made a .22 & .38 cal in the officers model but are not a collector item like the .32cal
If you dont wont it I will be glad to follow thru

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have one from January 1941 shipped to the State of Massachusetts, there were 400 guns in the shipment and I understand they were all 32 cal OMTs. The Mass. National Guard shooting team was going to use them for training and many were never fired. The bulk of them sat around until they were sold to J&G Guns in Arizona where they've been getting sold off for the past several years, mainly NIB.

Accurate, yes, very (when I can get it away from my wife!). I've seen a total of 3. Buy them, shoot them.

Scott

·
Registered
345 Posts
I seen some of these guns that a dealer had at the Tulsa show,NIB,and just so happens that they came from a collection in Arizona.I think the guy had 2 or up to 4 of them.They were around the $1,200 price range.Another of these guys with ogles and gobs of old Colts...He was on the lower level at the end if you seen him "addicted".Love to give out the email of him but he's also the one who is working on the deal with the 40 or so Pythons,Boa's,and Snake Eyes.When I get first shot at the guns I'll pass on the info,,,no worry about me buying up too many because he's from another state other then Oklahoma and we were discussing how I'd get them here with me not haveing any FFL.I'll probably be lucky to get 2 or 3 guns from him,I just don't want anyone to beat me out of a Snake Eyes,as Pythons are my favorite guns.
Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts