Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Questions on Mint Early Trooper .22(4\" revolver)?

I have discovered a 100% mint early Trooper(4").22 cal. revolver, which includes a perfectly mint original factory Colt Box(And shipper-with it postmarked in year, 1959!)! This revolver also has as originally installed from the factory, the same first year Python target grips on it(And, I'm not kidding, these grips are as new looking as the day Colt had built this revolver!)! The cylinder doesn't even appear to have been turned! I have the folowing questions:

1)Were there a lot of these early .22 cal. Troopers made?

2)Were the target grips common to these Colt .22 Troopers(Or, more rare-as being built by Colt?)?

3)Roughly, what kind of value would this Trooper likely have(In view of it's total mintness and being a complete package?)? My eyes are still popped out of their sockets, from seeing the astounding beauty(And condition)of this Trooper!

4)Please add anything else in your comments, that I might have overlooked?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Re: Questions on Mint Early Trooper .22(4\" revolve

I can only give you Blue Book info in case you haven't looked there. The .22LR was only made in 4" and is noted as "scarce". For that vintage Trooper with standard hammer, 100% = $525, with wide hammer and target grips, 100% = $525 and the notation is to add $75 - $125 for .22LR depending on condition. Again, this is BB and addresses the gun not the package, but is what a seller may be looking at. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Re: Questions on Mint Early Trooper .22(4\" revolver)?

I have one of these models with target stocks and hammer. These guns were on "special order" from Colt. I purchased mine from a Colt collector of 30 years. It was his last gun sold because it was the only one he'd seen in with this combination let alone condition. I don't think he looked that hard.

Does your gun have a non-blued barrel end? Mine is mint also but I don't have the box. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I paid $550 for it less than a year ago and I wouldn't sell it for $1000.

Target stocks and hammer are not uncommon but they are more desirable. The box means alot to me as long as it's the box that belongs to the gun. Anything under $800 would be considered a steal.

Good luck and keep us in touch.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

I don't know about Addicted's comment of these .22 Trooper Old Models being "special order" from Colt,as they were certainly catalogued in the Colt Catalogs of the years they were made,as well as being mentioned in the gun rags and gun books of the late 50'd-mid 60's.

But scarce they are!

Mine is strictly a "shooter" and probably has seen in excess of 20k rounds through it in the 15 years I've owned it.

Glad the gun you saw is mint,original, and in the box,as it is quite easy to switch grips and hammers,something I do with mine,depending on what "mode" I feel like shooting it in.

I think dfariswheel has one of these early Trooper .22s,and enjoys shooting it. Mine would be one of my last guns to part with,due to its shootability and smoothness.

Hopefully,the seller has only read the Blue Book(wife gave me one for Xmas,but I returned it!!!),and a check on some internet sites won't reveal the scarcity of these Troopers. Only a true lover of postwar Colts would know and appreciate their scarcity. The pre69 Troopers are still,IMO,"sleepers"and "good buys" for the collector/shooter.

Bud

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I don't think that the Colt Trooper .22 in question, had the non-blued barrel tip? I was only able to briefly inspect this revolver. However, my Colt Model ".357" doesn't have the non-blued barrel tip(As it was made circa, 1960)so this Trooper probably was made close to the 1959 postage marking on the outside of the shipper box?

I'm working on a potential deal for this Colt Trooper .22? I'm hoping that I'll be able to obtain a reasonable price on this revolver? I wouldn't like the idea of paying a high price now-and then(Later)only to find out that this Colt Trooper .22 might prove difficult to sell for anything near what it might be worth in view of not many people being aware of it's rarity and value?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,807 Posts

SOMEWHERE in all my papers, old magazines, and books, there is a statement from SOMEONE (is that tenuous enough) that Colt only made about 2200 old Model Troopers in .22 LR.

The factory-original target hammer and target stocks are fairly rare.
Most of the target grips, and more than a few target hammers were installed AFTER the factory.

My Trooper has the target hammer, but as is not unusual, someone swiped the original first type target grips, and replaced them with a set of hardwood second type.

This is a 1954 vintage Trooper. It has the two-tone finish with the bright muzzle, and the first model Accro rear sight with the round ended sight leaf.

It shoots better than any .22 revolver I've ever owned, with the possible exception of a 6" Trooper Mark III .22 I had.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts

Just for the record, my box has a small label that says "Target Hammer and Stocks" or something similar. The sytle of target stocks will mirror the progression of styles found on other guns such as Pythons and Officers Models.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

dfariswheel:

What did the second style of rear sight look like after the first type, that you have indicated on your 1954 vintage Trooper .22?

Do collector's have much interest in these older Trooper(4-inch).22 revolvers-or, are they "Cool" on these?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

They are nice guns. I have three of them in 22. The last one that I purchased was in March 2005 and I paid $500. I would pay a premium with the original box. If you want the gun, I would be a bit flexible in terms of price especially since it has the original box with the gun.

The original Trooper was introduced in late 1953 (Serven) and production was continuous through 1962 with the 22 version. The 22 version was last cataloged in 1961 based on my catalog inventory. As you probably know, there was a 38spl version and production which I understand was geared toward police department use. The 357 Magnum Model (Trooper) was also produced as a predecessor to the Python.

To my knowledge, there has been no production information published on the 22 version. You can search some of the forum archives and you will probably find more information on the Trooper.

At one time, we discussed or believed that the Trooper 22 was produced during two production periods; namely 1953 through 1962/63, and then just prior to the introduction of the Trooper Mark III in 1969. This theory is not supported by catalog information. Three additional Colt 22 DA revolver models were available during the Trooper production period, namely the Officers Model Target, Official Police, and Police Positive. So, production was probably limited and the Blue Book and other references list the 22 version as "scarce". These guns were commonly shot, so you find them with some wear typically.

As was mentioned, the Trooper was available with a standard hammer and service stocks, and a wide target hammer and target stocks. All had adjustable rear sights and had a 4" barrel. These are great guns and probably a good investment when you find them in excellent condition.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Colt38:

They are indeed cool guns. Everyone I know who has one won't let them out of their sight. The pic below is mine made in 1954 or so.

If you have a line on one in the condition you describe, I say go ahead and buy it. And buy it because you like it and will enjoy it for what it is, not because it 'might' prove to be a good investment. My personal view is that the investment value of a particular gun ought not to be considered when purchasing a nice gun. Buy it because you like it, because it fits in with your collecting interest, or because you want to shoot it, but not because of the investment potential. If later on it turns out to have been a good investment, great, but in my opinion that should not be your motivating purchase decision. Pardon me, but sometimes I get weary of guys who say they are collectors but who really are investors who happen to invest in collectibles. There is a big difference, in my view. Sorry if that steps on any toes, no offense meant, but that is something kind of bugs me. Off the soapbox now.

Good luck.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Small edition to my thoughts.... I like 'em! I would buy the gun in a heartbeat if I could get it for a reasonable price. I might even do some serious discussion on borderline "unreasonable" pricing since it is such a good speciman. I would figure the box is worth a good $100 if you factor that into your prices. What price is being asked?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I don't know yet, what the price is going to be? A gun dealer that I know very well, had this Trooper .22 hidden away behind his gun case-and, he normally, is always willing to let me come behind his gun counter and pilfer through any of his newly received guns. However, although he is aware that I regularly drop into his Gun Shop at least two times every week(For this purpose)he did not tell me about this Trooper .22, until I kept pushing him to reveal any real "Gems" that he might have been keeping a secret? He finally pulled this revolver out from behind his counter-and he told me that he shouldn't be showing me this gun-because he didn't know whether or not he was going to be able to obtain this mint specimen from it's owner for resale! So, I had him to agree that I'd get the first chance to buy this Trooper .22! I only hope that his price won't be too unreasonable?

Regarding buying this gun as an investment: No, I would only be buying this Trooper .22 because I liked it(And wanted to keep it!)however, since I really had no idea how popular a gun like this one might be to Colt collector's, I wanted to determine if I'd be buying a "Lemon" in terms of potential resale-because, if I had to pay a pretty high price, I'd sure prefer to know if I'd(At least)break even(Or, become a big loser?)? And no, I'm not offended by this question-because I realize that there are folks out there who really don't appreciate nice, classic guns(Per Se)but only from the standpoint of "Making a buck"!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

As a shooter, how does this gun compare to the Diamondback in the same configuration?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

22-rimfire:

Regarding your edition to your first posting: Since you said that for a Trooper in the condition that I had described, you might even consider discussing a price that would border on being somewhat "Unreasonable, I would like to know what your top dollar would be, if you had found this mint(New)1950's vintage, Trooper .22? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Colt38: You're really pushing this to the limit. But I will respond anyway. Let me preface my comments with the fact that I don't routinely compare prices on GunsAmerica or either of the two internet auction sites. Hence, my pricing may be slightly out of date. So, I will give you my gut feel for pricing. I would probably discuss purchasing the revolver at $700-$750. This assumes that it is perfect and the serial number matches the box etc. For the stuff I like, I do pay for it and am not concerned that much about selling it anytime in the near term future. I don't buy guns to sell them at a profit in the short term.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

22-rimfire:

1)Thanks, for giving your price estimate for the Colt Trooper .22! Your quote of possibly paying as much as $700-$750 for this mint gun, tells me that some people would find this particular Trooper desireable to own! I'm like you, in the respect that I like to keep the mint guns that I might acquire just for wanting to have them! However, it's always good news to learn that any particular gun might be deserving of a good price-should I ever put it up for resale?

2)Judgecolt was correct, regarding the little sticker placed on the outside of the Trooper .22's gun box, indicating that the gun had a wide target hammer and target stocks, on his Trooper .22! However, I just got back from the Gun Shop that has the Mint Trooper .22(That I'm considering)and, yes, this little sticker is also on the outside of this box! And, I had once again confirmed, that my eyes definately were not telling me lies before(On how mint new this Trooper .22 really is!)as it couldn't look any newer, if Colt had built this revolver 5 minutes ago(Just incredible!)!

3)Although I'm just guessing at this point-I have been told that the gentleman who owns the aforementioned Trooper .22, also has two mint new 1950's Colt Python's that my gun dealer friend, is also trying to acquire(a 4" and a 6")and, if this is true, I'll get the first chance at buying all three of these revolvers? If this is true(It's going to break my bank account for sure!)but, I know that if all of these guns are equally mint(And, complete?)then, I'm sure that these guns are worth investing in? Now, I've got to convince my wife of this(LOL)but, what do you guys think? Am I crazy(Or, am I thinking straight?)?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Is there anything else worth knowing about these early Colt Trooper(4-inch).22 revolvers?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts

Be interesting to know IF any were ever sold to law enforcement agencies, who were issued the .38 or .357 Trooper,etc., as a training, practice gun,like the .22 O.Polices were???

Be neat to find a GENUINE agency marked .22 Trooper.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts