Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys: I have always been a Colt auto and S&W revolver fan, never having gotten too interested in the Colt revolvers or known much about them. Lately, however, that has been changing as I have found myself noticing those Colt wheelguns more often. Sort of like the girl down the block you never paid any attention to, until one day you suddenly realize she is a real looker. A recent thread here on the Trooper .22 caught my eye and got me to thinking about the pros and cons of that gun. Lots of pros, the only con being where to find a nice one at a decent price. I got lucky, as we all do sometimes, and found that a guy I've known at the gun shows had a nice old Trooper. After close inspection, I knew that this was the right gun, so I made the deal (a trade for a High Standard Trophy; he made out better $-wise, but I liked the Colt more, so we were both happy.) He says it was a 1954 production gun serialed 685XX which would make it a very early Trooper. Looking in Wilson's big book I can't confirm that date since his serial tables on the Trooper are puzzling to me. Were the .22s in a different range from the .357? Can anyone tell if it is indeed a '54 gun? The finish is in good shape with only a tiny bit of muzzle wear. Have not shot it yet, but have high expectations for it. Lastly, what would the proper box have been for this Trooper? The brown hinged box with the gold label? Anyway, I had to share this good fortune with you guys. Thanks for any help on the questions I posed. I am enjoying this Forum. Hope this pic posts ok. Charlie

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
Looks like a 1954. Mine is a 1954 with a 691XX range, so that would be about right.

The Colt numbers are very confusing since the Trooper guns had serial number ranges mixed with the Trooper, 357, and Officer's Model Match. The Trooper .22 numbers are with the OMM guns.

In fact, the Trooper .22 is just a OMM with a lesser finish and lesser fitted action, with a different barrel.

From my experience, I'd guess your grips aren't original since most Trooper .22's were shipped with the standard hammer and service stocks, while yours has the standard hammer and the first model Colt Target stocks. Usually, people who ordered the target stocks also ordered the target hammer.

It was a common practice to "switch 'n Swap" grips. However, only a historical letter from Colt would tell for sure.

If the grips were replaced, it was probably long ago. Those early fully checkered target grips usually sell on Ebay for over $100.00. DON"T LOSE 'EM.

As an early 50's Colt, your gun will have the first model Colt Accro rear sight. This is recognized by having a rounded front end on the sight leaf, and no "hump" on the rear of the leaf.

Your Trooper should produce phenomenal groups, and will have an excellent action. Needless to say, as an early 50's gun, fit and finish will be gorgeous.

I'm unable to find the info to confirm this, but within the last year I read somewhere that Colt only produced 2300 Colt Trooper .22's between 1953-54 and the end of production in 1968-69.

Shoot and enjoy, you have a truly fine, rare gun.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
D: Thanks very much for your informative reply to my inquiry. I figured the .22s were scarce, but not that scarce. If the total production of 2300 units over 16 years figure is accurate, that would mean an average of only 144 guns produced per year over that time span. Not a lot. Any thoughts on what the proper box would be? A gun as nice as this one deserves the correct box if one can be found. I'll report back here after I have had a chance to shoot it. I suspect it is a lot more accurate than I am these days! Thanks again. Charlie

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
The reason for the low production of the .22 Trooper is that it was seen as a "trainer" for the .38 and .357 models.

Most people wanting a good .22 mid-frame Colt bought the Colt Officer's Model Match, and this held production down for the Trooper .22.

Sorry I can't help you with the correct box for a '54 Colt revolver. My interest is in the gun, not the box, so possibly a collector will respond.

·
Registered
52 Posts
As you probably saw in an earlier message, I got hold of a Trooper III in 22lr last month. Mine is a work of real craftmanship in very good condition. Took it with me to Wyoming two weeks ago shooting prairie dogs and it did the trick.

Hope you enjoy yours as I have so far mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts