Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday when I bought that PPS (see thread below), I also looked at a 1909 that was on consignment for $350, I passed then, but went back and got it today because the seller dropped the price. I got it for $275. The finish is almost perfect, with no knicks or scratches. There is an "R.A.C" stamped on the frame just below the hammer on the right side, and also another R.A.C. on the cylinder. On the butt is "U.S. Army Model 1909 No. 340xx". The only problem is that at some point in its life, the gun's barrel was cut from what I believe would have been 5 1/2" originally to 4". The muzzle was recrowned and the front sight soldered back on. It is a professional looking job and you can barely see the solder (weld). The "U.S. Property" on the underside of the barrel is unmarred. The only giveaway is the patent info on the top of the barrel is interrupted. Despite this, I thought that it was still worth $275 for a good shooter. I thought any New Service would be worth at least that. Serial # is 340xx, matching the # on the butt. Can anyone give the DOB? Was it a fair price, or did I pay too much this time? Anyone know what R.A.C. was? I am guessing maybe it was the proof mark for the Army ordinace officer at that time, like the G.H.D. for Guy H. Drewry on my Commando. I plan to use only standard velocity smokeless .45 LC loads. No Corbons here! Thanks again for all info!

Here is her photo. The gun has what I believe is the original matte charcoal blue finish. I appears shiny in this photo because I wiped it off with an oily rag:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi NframeisNo1,
Here is some information on your Model 1909. On December 17th, 1908, the War Department placed an order with Colt for 6000 New Service revolvers, Caliber .45. They were designated "Colt's Double-Action revolver, Caliber .45, Model of 1909". The military number stamped on the butt corresponds to the Colt serial number on the frame in the crane cutout. Additional orders were made in 1910 and 1911 to Colt for a total of 19,503 revolvers delivered to the Army. The guns were consecutively numbered from 30001 to 49503. The first shipment was made on May 28, 1909 and the last shipment on September 13, 1911. 19,153 guns were shipped to Manila Ordnance Depot PI, and 350 guns to Springfield Armory. All had 5 1/2 inch barrels. The Ordnance Sub-Inspector was Ranaldo A. Carr... Your "RAC" initials... Serial numbers 30001 to 42800 were accepted by Col. Frank Baker and 42801 to 49503 were accepted by Maj. Walter G. Penfield. The Navy and USMC also purchased the Model 1909 revolvers but in different serial number ranges than the 19,503 Army guns.Hope that helps.... Bob Best

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently bought a 1917 Colt with a slightly bulged barrel. I thought it was a good deal at $300. I found a .45 barrel on ebay for $50, but it is a .45 Colt (not government marked) barrel. I like these old Colts for shooters, and will usually buy refinished or otherwise "non collectible" versions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
wow what a gun at a great price in such condition.man in the capital city a gunshop has one on consingment for at least a year or so .it was a big colt like your but had petina over most of the blue.the wooden stocks were in like awful cracked condition.what a wreck of a gun.heres the obseen part.price 500 bucks ?say what the f^%&^

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judge Colt,
My picture is a bit misleading. I went a little gung-ho with the oil and the gun is not really that shiny. The bluing is matte, like a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman. That may be why you think its a reblue. I believe the matte blue to be original. The only thing not original to this gun is the cut barrel. The cut must have been done many years ago, as the muzzle is not bright, but as dark as the bluing.
BTW, I forgot to mention that it does have an FB above the R.A.C. I mentioned on the right side. That must be the Col. Frank Baker that COLTDAGUY mentioned in his post.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
An original M1909 has the commercial-grade, high-polish finish found on commercial Colts of the same vintage. They do NOT have matte finish similar to a Smith & Wesson Model 28. I still believe the gun is a reblue, or refinish if you prefer, based on the wavey side plate and rounded edges that show on the side plate joints, as well as the other "soft" edges I can see. If the finish is matte, that is better proof the gun is refinished than what I think I can see in the photograph. The stocks also appear to be refinished as they are far too "shiney."

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Judge Colt. Thanks for your insight. Based on what all you said, I feel much better knowing I didn't overpay. With the overall good condition of the finish, I guess the barrel doesn't hurt as much. Boy I wish these old guns could talk so they could tell us their stories! I can only imagine what may have happened to my 1909 during is past 96 years and why it was cut!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts