Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2nd generation Colt SAA that needs some help, specifically a new cylinder, ejector rod, ejector tube, etc. I understand the differences in barrel threads from 2nd to 3rd generation, but have some questions for those of you with greater knowledge than I possess.

1. Examining cylinders I see no obvious differences between 2nd and 3rd generation, other than some markings on the rear face of the 2nd generation that don't appear on the 3rd generation. Can a 3rd generation cylinder be fitted to a 2nd generation frame?

2. Missing the complete ejector set-up, rod, tube, spring, etc. Again, can 3rd generation ejector parts be fitted to the 2nd generation revolvers?

Your advice and assistance will be appreciated. Also, anyone having parts lying around that I can use would be good to hear from. My 2nd generation SAA is nickel, but I'll work with what I have to.

Best regards.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hi Lobo,

1. Cylinders,
Current 3rd gen cylinder with the separate cyl pin bushing are a great replacement for the 2nd gens. Use you old cyl bushing and you won't have to fit the cyl to your gun.

The 3rd gen cyl star teeth changed from 2nd to 3rd gen and to be perfectly correct you could change the pawl (hand) as well. However, I have to tell you that I've never had to do that for the cyl to work properly. I've also used 2nd gen cyls in 3rd gen guns and not had to change the pawl either.

The best 2nd gen replacement cylinder in my opinion is the USFA which have 2nd gen star teeth. Especially on an early 2nd gen that still had the 1/2" radius flutes of the 1st gen. Also USFA has a beautiful black powder chamfer on the front edge. Still in stock at Brownells here:
Cylinder, US Firearms : CYLINDER, US FIREARMS | Brownells

Here's one in a 1958 2nd gen:

[URL="http://www.fototime.com/07E8F477A431F87/orig.jpg%5b/img"][COLOR=#0000ff]http://www.fototime.com/07E8F477A431F87/orig.jpg[/img[/COLOR][/URL]]

2. 3rd gen ejector parts are an exact and excellent direct replacement for 2nd gen guns.
Brownells is out of stock for these four Colt parts; rod, housing, spring and screw so I would order direct by calling Colt.[/FONT][/COLOR]

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
I will make one addition to the information above: the early 2nd gen ejector housing / tube has a different shape than any 3rd gen housing. The 3rd gen will work (once fitted to the gun), however it will not look the same as a 2nd gen housing. The finish will be different also (for blue guns).

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I will make one addition to the information above: the early 2nd gen ejector housing / tube has a different shape than any 3rd gen housing. The 3rd gen will work (once fitted to the gun), however it will not look the same as a 2nd gen housing. The finish will be different also (for blue guns).
Hi weagle99,
I'm always interested in the opinions of others. Could you be more specific on the differences? The bluing I agree can vary, it even varies between 3rd gen guns, some more bright blue than others.

But my 1958 (18XXX), 1961 and 1973 2nd gens all have matching housings. And my six 3rd gens from 1979 to 2005 all match the 2nd gens. Both 2nds and 3rds of course have the usual slight differences in finishing that may even be found on two guns made a day apart. Also the 3rds interchange with the housings on my 2nd gen guns.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
The 2nd Gen housings have an upswept profile near the front of the housing, while the 3rd gens are more straight. Look at your 1958 gun in a side profile and compare it to any of your 3rd Gens and you will see a difference.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Ok, I see it. Good eye weagle. And when you measure across the barrel and ejector housing, the 2nds are the same dimension at the muzzle and at the frame. While the 3rds are slightly less at the muzzle, nominally .010". There's a little more 'meat' between the hole in the 2nd gen housings and the surface of the barrel when you look at the muzzle end. They do interchange w/o issue and it won't be a problem for our original poster's purpose. He could shop for a 2nd gen housing but may be a tough find when the 3rd will work.

I have another question for you. Do you know when did the 'full' loading gate change to the tapered-at-the-top when looking at the side profile? My 1961 is full and my 1973 is tapered and all 3rds are tapered, so it had to be sometime between those two. None of the Colt books I have even mention it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice and assistance. Will be having an excellent 2nd Gen. nickel barrel installed. Have an excellent 3rd Gen. nickel cylinder on the way. And I have located a retired Colt distributor who just happened to have every single part I need, all nickel, and all new in the factory packaging. Looking like a done deal!

Best regards to all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Lobo

Where was this retired distributor? Im looking for a nickel ejection rod for my nickel 2nd gen 357 SAA. The one I received from Colt was for a 45.

MJC

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recently posted the results including photos in the Colt SAA subforum. Was able to find a nickel 2nd Gen barrel in excellent condition, a nickel 3rd Gen cylinder in excellent condition, and a new ejector assembly (ejector, button, tube, spring, screw). Also found a very good gunsmith in Colorado Springs that fitted the new barrel and cylinder, timed, and test fired with less than 2 hours labor charged.

I test fired yesterday and was able to keep 20 consequtive shots on a 9" paper plate at 50 feet, so everything appears to be pretty well aligned for the sights to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts