Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 questions: does the New frontier (3rd Generation)have the fireing pin mounted on the hammer or is it the floating type? Also,can a Single Action Army model with the fixed sights be converted to micrometer adjustable rear site and a slopeing baughman type front blade?(Like Elmer Keiths #5 ).I think he mentioned it can be done and useing S&W sights wouldnt weaken the frame .What could this cost?

·
Registered
535 Posts
GREETINGS, Corrado!
O-o-o-h, your project sounds expensive and painful to me!? I'm pretty sure the New Frontier shares the regular SAA's firing system with the, "roofing nail," firing pin. (Ha!) Floating pins go with Ruger single actions and double action revolvers. (The newer ones, that is.) I have no doubt a good gun smith COULD perform the sight job you'd like but, man, you'd be a-cuttin' on an very expensive piece. When Elmer Keith did his tricks, SA Colt's were a dime-a-dozen! My opinion? If you crave adjustable sights on a single action gun, get the New Frontier if you can afford it - great sights and its a Colt! Failing that, a stock Ruger ain't to shabby, neither! Some guys actually PREFER them. The regular SA Colt, in my opinion, is NOT something anybody wants to alter anymore - they're just too dear! I suspect you could sell a SA Colt and buy two new Rugers, a case of beer and take Momma out for dinner and a movie more than once on the difference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha, I understand your feelings! But, I wouldnt hesitate to shoot this 1st generation SAA for hunting.Hey life is too too short.Its just a man made tool and a nice one at that!! I have a practically brand new Don Adams English yew Longbow that hasnt been shot enough to follow the string. His waiting list is over 2 years and his yew was seasoned no less than 6-7 years collected at 4000ft elevation.Bow is gorgeous.When I finally get out of the east and relocate out west where hunting is really serious for me I will use it. Finally I have several wood canvas canoes that are replicas of very famous old time builders from the late 1800s to early 1900s brand new.I paddle them and dont care how much I scratch or dent or break a plank.Cause When Im paddling them I know I am in something special and enjoy it so much more.(heck,I dont even care if I catch a fish!) So, it sounds like I can have a rear adjustable bowen sight cut into the frame just like the new frontier then and replace the front round blade to a more effective slopetype ramp .OK Thank you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts