Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on bidding on this NIB electroless nickel Model 70 9 MM tomorrow. I keep looking at the roll marks and they do not appear to be sharp and detailed. Is this the picture or is it possible the gun was refinished? Just a little too much money not to be sure. I have posted the link below. If this is not allowed on the forum I will delete.
Thanks,

Colt MKIV/Series 70 Government Model 1911 9mm : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for the input. I would have bid higher but the roll marks do not appear to be nearly as sharp as my electroless nickel ACE. I am pretty anal about my cars and guns.
Thanks again

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wouldn't that be more the final polishing of the slide flats than inconsistent roll-marking?
Not really... but I can understand how one might think that. I've refinished a few hundred slides, so I've seen most all the factories inconsistencies... and it's not limited just to Colt. The Colt brush or polishing process is fairly consistent in it's metal removal... it has to be or you'd see waves and low spots in the slide - especially when you refinish one.
Instead, on a factory as is slide you can easily see both the variations in rollmark depth... sometimes as much as .006", and the high ridges created by "overstrike" which can, on worst case slides, be at .003" above the base surface.
As an example, lets say that it takes .002" of metal removal with a surface grinder or surface plate polisher to achieve 100% contact with the flat. All overstrike ridges have been removed. What's left is a dead flat slide... and this is when the rollmark depth variations I referred to are most apparent.

I'm not sure I explained that satisfactorily, but I'm trying to keep it short and simple... hard for me to do sometimes. ;)

C

1 - 9 of 9 Posts