Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Officers Model Match in .22 that is in almost perfect condition It is serial number 88106 which makes it a 1969 gun ("The Eagle has landed!") Under the serial number in the yoke cut out in the frame there is a capital letter R stamped. Does this mean it is a rimfire frame, or does it mean it has been refinished?

Thanks,

Dwight

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not Rimfire. My .38 OMM has an R as well. It came to me NIB so I'm hoping it isn't a refinish mark.

Dwight

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Not Rimfire. My .38 OMM has an R as well. It came to me NIB so I'm hoping it isn't a refinish mark.

Dwight

[/ QUOTE ]

Dwight, Rest assured that R does not indicate refinish. It's either the Assembler or Inspector stamp. I believe it's the Assembler stamp. Someone correct me if I'm incorrect.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
Letters below or around the serial number are, as above, inspector's or assembler's numbers.

It's only when the letters are actually WITH the serial number that they are PART of the serial.
Adding letters TO serial numbers started at Colt's in
1966 with the "D" framed guns and rolled out to all the other's by 1969.

Typical Colt letter and number serials are as either prefixes or suffix's:
A12345, 12345A, AA12345, 12345AA etc.

Those guns, either older or newer than 1966, that have a LARGER, different font stamped AWAY from the actual serial are factory inspection stamps

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. I was beginning to feel like a real dope. I had spent a while trying to get a matched .22 and .38 OMM. I am going to have a double case made for them.

Thanks,

Dwight

1 - 6 of 6 Posts